Axiom Home Page
Posted By: SBrown Outlaw mono blocks - 02/17/12 03:18 AM
I was thinking about getting a couple to run my M80's off of,would these guys play nice at loud levels? I want to take some stress off my 9.2 amp.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/17/12 03:28 AM
I assume you are talking about the 2200's as they are the only monos? I've heard they are pretty potent little animals, at least when talking to my Outlaw forum gurus. They are a different design, not strictly A or A/B, but a A/B/G design. It will provide Class A/B power up to 80 watts (which covers about 98% of most listening situations). Above 80 watts the Model 2200 will instantly shift into Class G amplification. Some like this design, others don't, mostly this allowed them to have a smaller/stackable mono that puts out a lot of efficient power.

I have the 7700, and of all the external amps I've owned, so far it is my favorite, although I did like my Odyssey mono's as well.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/17/12 04:06 AM
Thanks Randy, I've heard people getting these for each speaker, up to nine channels. shocked What is class G and will they handle a 4 ohm load?
Posted By: jakewash Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/17/12 04:31 AM
Not sure what class G is (will need to google amp classifications) but I know the 2200 will handle 4 ohm loads, lots of owners run them with 4ohm speakers with no problems, not to mention they list 4 ohm in the specs.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/17/12 04:38 AM
I know on the Outlaw forums there are many people driving a lot of so called "hard to drive" speakers. They are rated to handle 4ohm speakers. I know at one time Bugbitten, who hasn't posted here in awhile was driving m80's with the model that preceeded the 2200. I know they are stackable as well, and if you buy in quantaties I think they give you a discount.

One problem with buying a lot of these is you will have a lot of power cords to plug in. smile I don't know a lot about the G topology, however, my understanding is that in higher demand situations, it only takes 2 microseconds, .000002 of a second, to transition from A/B to G, it is inaudible, and allows for them to make a powerful, small footprint amp.

Here is a review of the older 200, they even used one of JohnK's favorite CD's Holst Planets in the review. smile

http://www.hometheaterhifi.com/volume_10_2/outlaw-audio-200-amplifier-4-2003.html

and another from a user over on Outlaw..

http://www.prillaman.net/m200_review.html

All of Outlaw amps are built by ATI (this is a good thing) right here in the U.S., per specs given by the Outlaws. However, the 2200 is built oversees in Taiwan by their supplier, again it has to meet their specs and design needs to be badged an Outlaw. smile
Posted By: SBrown Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/17/12 04:42 AM
Thanks guys, I think I will try a couple of these. grin
Posted By: SBrown Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/20/12 12:19 AM
Ordered two of these from Outlaw. That should make my M80's happy and my other amp will just run the center and surrounds.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/20/12 04:02 PM
looking forward to your reports...
Posted By: SBrown Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/21/12 11:48 PM
Yup, they shipped today and only $70.00 to the island. I will probably get a big bill from Purolator tho.(taxes and brokerage fees).
Posted By: SBrown Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/23/12 01:01 AM
Will be here March 1st. They come from one end of North America to the other. I can't get any farther west....."go west young man", unless I go to Japan.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/23/12 01:11 AM
Lampshade and I live about 12 miles from their HQ. That won't help you at all. I just thought I'd share that.
Posted By: jakewash Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/23/12 05:54 AM
Could be worse SB, you could be up with Socketman and have to pay even more for shipping.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/23/12 06:34 AM
I am thankful it's made on this side of the pond anyway.
Posted By: cb919 Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/23/12 02:15 PM
Originally Posted By: SBrown
Will be here March 1st. They come from one end of North America to the other. I can't get any farther west....."go west young man", unless I go to Japan.

Well, you could be in Tofino. grin
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/23/12 05:11 PM
What? Alaska isn't part of North America anymore? grin
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/23/12 05:14 PM
Alaska's just a northern extension of Texas.
Posted By: medic8r Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/23/12 05:20 PM
Cultureman is correct, methinks.
Posted By: SBrown Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/23/12 11:20 PM
Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
What? Alaska isn't part of North America anymore? grin

Yes, but I am Canadian.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/24/12 01:05 AM
Alaska: The adult run-a-way state.

Alaska: The Soviet Ramparts state

License Plate: Alaska is for Losers

Alaska The Non-Contiguous

Alaska: America's pathetic attempt to surround Canada

Alaska: Ruining Canada with Adjacent American Values

Alaska: Where even governors don't have to finish high school.

Alaska: Manifest Desinty through spillage

Alaska: Your dollars may not get you far, but your GED can work miracles!

Do you think Miss Canada cares at all about this?
I don't know, Alaska.

Aw, c'mon. They live in the dark way more than we do.

Well, at least they haven't made intelligent design mandatory. They will as soon as they can understand it.

Apolgies to Michael---for the jokes, NOT for living there!

Posted By: SBrown Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/25/12 12:40 AM
Thanks for sticking up for me Bob....I think. All I have to get is two more now for the new speakers. Whoo hoo
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/25/12 01:26 AM
did you get them yet?
Posted By: SBrown Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 02/25/12 05:31 AM
Not yet Randy, they are suppose to come on the first but sometimes they deliver a day earlier than what it says.
They had a "delivery exception" (so I phoned)as to where the shipper didn't write what currency was charged. CAD or USD, Jennifer(from Outlaw) said that was the first time she every got that one.
Fedex can be so dumb sometimes, I tell you!

edit: They arrived at MISSISSAUGA, ON . Yayy, in Canada!
Posted By: b7fLuid Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 04/04/12 04:41 AM
Originally Posted By: SBrown
I was thinking about getting a couple to run my M80's off of,would these guys play nice at loud levels? I want to take some stress off my 9.2 amp.

Hey guys,

sorry for jumping on this post late, but I've got a pair of these hooked up to my M80 v2 speakers. I unfortunately don't have anything really to compare because my last amp was an Alesis RA300...yeah, don't laugh at me ok, it was many moons ago.

I'd say that I enjoy the sound coming from them but until I try another amp with my setup, I can't really say much more. What I know for sure is that they sound great compared to the Alesis RA300 and anything I've heard from your standard home theatre in a box setup.

I've got a Blue Planet EM100 energy meter hooked up at the wall with the following attached:

-Emotiva USP-1
-Axiom EP350 v3 subwoofer
-2x OA M2200 monoblock amps
-Sony KDL 46EX500 television
-Desktop Computer (I7 875k, Radeon 6950HD 1Gb, Asus Xonar DS sound card, modem, router)

All these things together use an average of about 150 watts from the wall. Amazing in my opinion. Take away the computer and it's about 70 watts for just the tv and audio equipment.

I also enjoy the fact that they barely give off any heat even at high volumes and stacked on top of each other. Good if you're concerned with that or are putting in a cabinet with poor ventilation (shame on you!).

I should be testing my setup with a Bel Canto S300ID soon. I know it's supposed to be a step up from my current configuration, but I'll let you know.

fLuid
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 04/04/12 01:17 PM
How on earth do you get a power consumption that low with a Radeon 6950?!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 04/04/12 11:07 PM
nice setup fluid.
Posted By: b7fLuid Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 04/08/12 01:18 AM
Originally Posted By: Ken.C
How on earth do you get a power consumption that low with a Radeon 6950?!

Hey Ken,

you're absolutely correct. I assumed the computer was attached to the power bar that had all my stereo components but that wasn't the case. I remembered that I had to plug the computer into another outlet because I was getting a ground loop humming sound.

I've reattached the computer to the powerbar and now I'm getting 245 watts from the complete system which does make more sense.

I still believe that's still amazing energy efficiency...as long as I don't play Battlefield 3. hehe

Again, thanks for catching that!

fLuid
Posted By: b7fLuid Re: Outlaw mono blocks - 04/08/12 01:27 AM
Originally Posted By: SirQuack
nice setup fluid.

Thanks SirQuack,

I was going to get four amps and quad amp the M80s but I thought that would be a little excessive. wink

fLuid
© Axiom Message Boards