Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Saint Best way to clean vintage integrated amp? - 08/12/03 07:29 PM
I have a Yamaha vintage integrated amp. I opened it up, and sprayed out the dust. Someone told me to use contact cleaner on the inside and outside of all the switches and dials.

One of the switches is loose, here's a link to the inside of it (circular thing is the inside), how do I tighten this?

Anything else I should do?

http://members.arstechnica.com/subscriptors/x/saint/switchinside.jpg
Posted By: sushi Re: Best way to clean vintage integrated amp? - 08/12/03 10:49 PM
What exactly do you mean by "the switch is loose"? Some of these old selector switches were designed to have a slightly loose feel to it.

I also suggest you apply some deoxidizer/cleaner/protector chemicals, such as the CAIG DeoxIT and/or ProGold.

[btw... does the amp sound "bright"? -- j.k.]
Posted By: Saint Re: Best way to clean vintage integrated amp? - 08/14/03 08:05 PM
Apparently now the amp's right channel fades out after prolonged use, but turning it off and back on again restores the sound.

Any idea why this might happen?

Posted By: sushi Re: Best way to clean vintage integrated amp? - 08/14/03 08:15 PM
Could it be heat-related? -- if the sound is restored when you turn it off and then back on immediately (so no cooling down happens), then it is something else. At any rate, this sounds pretty bad...
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best way to clean vintage integrated amp? - 08/15/03 03:40 PM
Just to throw my problem out there, I've got a Marantz 2220B where the right channel cuts in and out. I tracked it down to the Mono button; I can jiggle the hi-pass button next to the mono button and get the right channel back. It's as though the mono button is partially shorting out. Unfortuantely, Rat Shack doens't carry spray in contact cleaner in my area. Dumb question, I know, but where can I find that stuff?
try an appliance parts or an hvac supply house. i know we sell contact cleaner, so they must too.
dan
Posted By: sushi Re: Best way to clean vintage integrated amp? - 08/15/03 04:45 PM
Ken, PartsExpress.com carries all CAIG chemical products, which I can recommend.
Posted By: nowave Re: Best way to clean vintage integrated amp? - 08/15/03 05:17 PM
I had similar problems with my vintage integrated amp.... I used the Radio Shack stuff - but I wouldn't again. It's content is heavy on the lube, and light on the cleaner. For some things, like pots and switches and buttons, it might be fine in small doses, since the lube will help there - but you will still want a "pure" cleaner to get it clean first.

I guess my point is - count yourself lucky that they don't carry it... it's really not worth it.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Best way to clean vintage integrated amp? - 08/15/03 07:51 PM
Well, I was dense enough to buy a cleaner pen when I was there (feeling desperate), and I've found it to be almost totally useless, except for cleaning Atari 2600 cartridges.
© Axiom Message Boards