Axiom Home Page
Expensive HDMI cables a Rip-off!
Perfect timing. I was just talking to some of my staff today about how he paid way too much for his Monster cable, but he didn't believe me.
Posted By: Adrian Re: Gonna buy me some stripper-named cables! - 04/10/12 09:03 PM
Nick, maybe there's still time for him to upgrade to Audioquest cables?
Posted By: Bayne Re: Gonna buy me some stripper-named cables! - 04/10/12 09:21 PM
What? You mean my decently priced Bluejeans cables aren't sending the 1's and 0's to my components as well as Monster or Audioquest cables? I need to upgrade right this minute. I hope they accept Visa?
Posted By: dakkon Re: Gonna buy me some stripper-named cables! - 04/10/12 10:11 PM
Originally Posted By: nickbuol
Perfect timing. I was just talking to some of my staff today about how he paid way too much for his Monster cable, but he didn't believe me.

Nick, you are going to fight an up hill battle with this one.... you are trying to disprove millions of dollars of advertising....

I have a pair of high end moster cables... Right now they are in a bin on the porch.. wink

Also, this can be a very touchy subject telling someone that they "waisted" their money... especially a subornate at work...

Right now i am using cables from av-outlet, RCA and power cables... they are average price, and pretty good quality in my mind...
I usually inform those that have purchased Monster products to try to avoid them due to their frivolous lawsuits for starters then move on to how there isn't any quality differences from Monoprice, Blue Jeans etc. compared to those that they bought, it generally works.
Originally Posted By: jakewash
I usually inform those that have purchased Monster products to try to avoid them due to their frivolous lawsuits for starters then move on to how there isn't any quality differences from Monoprice, Blue Jeans etc. compared to those that they bought, it generally works.

Having different price tiers of HDMI cables from Monoprice and Blue Jeans, there are build quality, flexibility differences and have different performance ratings over length.

For instance the 28awg HDMI cables from monoprice I notice minor sparkles in the picture when you sit up close. This is at a 10ft run which is a very short run for artifacts to show up in the picture.
Is anyone familiar with these Monoprice HDMI cables that incorporate "RedMere" technology?

Supposedly, RedMere allows for longer cable runs, but what I like is the thinner cables. Much as I like Monoprice, some of their cables are awfully bulky and stiff.
Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Is anyone familiar with these Monoprice HDMI cables that incorporate "RedMere" technology?

Supposedly, RedMere allows for longer cable runs, but what I like is the thinner cables. Much as I like Monoprice, some of their cables are awfully bulky and stiff.

It looks like they haven't been brought to market yet. Their signal is directional too!
Posted By: Murph Re: Gonna buy me some stripper-named cables! - 04/12/12 05:06 PM
This is older now and posted before but some may find it interesting to watch the video of this "Marketplace" episode.

Of particular interest would be the part where they hook up a computer to a couple of very oppositely priced brands of HDMI cables. Because you are dealing with data, zeros and ones, it's a pretty simple thing for a computer to monitor the data and show evidently that the data passed through both cables was 100% equal.

Now, are there arguably, total crap HDMI cables? Yes. Certainly there are but crap is crap no matter what you are referring to and that's not the caparison being made.

Marketplace - Packing the Deal.
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1

For instance the 28awg HDMI cables from monoprice I notice minor sparkles in the picture when you sit up close. This is at a 10ft run which is a very short run for artifacts to show up in the picture.
You do need to know a little something about cables to purchase from these sources, I think a 10 ft run is actually quite long for 28 gauge wire. I have used up to the 8 ft lengths 28 gauge and no issues and my experience with monoprice 15 ft 24 gauge has been great on 2 different TV's.
Originally Posted By: jakewash
Originally Posted By: BlueJays1

You do need to know a little something about cables to purchase from these sources, I think a 10 ft run is actually quite long for 28 gauge wire. I have used up to the 8 ft lengths 28 gauge and no issues and my experience with monoprice 15 ft 24 gauge has been great on 2 different TV's.

They don't sell anything over 10ft for the 28awg HDMI cable.
© Axiom Message Boards