Axiom Home Page
Posted By: majik Info on gear - 05/18/12 10:24 AM
Hi guys, hoping someone can help me out. I came across 3 crown micro-tech 2400s, a crown 800 csl, and a behringer super-x pro 3400. All used, but working. Guy decided it was time to get new stuff... Yeah, like we've never been there before! Lol

I know im not going to need all of this, so i'm going to sell what i dont use, but I'm just trying to figure out the best way to add the gear to my epic 80-800... I have a denon 3808... Help? Thanks
Posted By: Adrian Re: Info on gear - 05/18/12 02:39 PM
The behringer unit, being an active crossover, should not be used with your system unless you remove your passive crossovers from whatever speakers they are being used on...not worth it and not recommended. The amps may be useable depending on connectivity issues.
Posted By: majik Re: Info on gear - 05/19/12 01:42 AM
Can anyone give me some insight on how to go about adding it to my gear? Will it improve sound quality?
Posted By: majik Re: Info on gear - 05/19/12 01:45 AM
Thanks for the info Adrian, I saw "mono" on the behringer and just assumed It was like the outlaw audio monoblock just not as good.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Info on gear - 05/19/12 02:11 AM
Maj, there's no apparent reason why any of that would be needed. The Crown amplifiers all spec at about 800 watts max into 4 ohms. That's all very well, but it's highly unlikely that you'll actually use more power at even brief peaks than your 3808 can supply. There's no good reason to expect better sound quality. Unused amplifier headroom is simply that: unused.
Posted By: majik Re: Info on gear - 05/21/12 05:34 PM
Thanks for the information John. Now would you recommend monoblocks with my set up?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Info on gear - 05/21/12 05:38 PM
I think what John said about the Crown amps would apply to other amps as well.
Posted By: J. B. Re: Info on gear - 05/21/12 07:46 PM
i think you should first use your Denon, and later on, if you find that sometimes you hear a bit of distortion - and it disappears when you lower the volume level - then this should be a sign that you need more power.
the same reasoning applies if you move later on and your HT room is larger than your current one.
Posted By: majik Re: Info on gear - 05/23/12 03:05 AM
Alright thanks guys. Much appreciated
© Axiom Message Boards