Axiom Home Page
Posted By: FordPrefect I'll Cross That Stream When I Come To It - 10/30/12 10:57 PM
I am pretty sure that I haven’t used up my quota of stupid questions for the year so here is another one:

I want to put a TV in the dinette, is impossible to get a cable there without disturbing the renovation work which is only 8 months old. Why we didn’t do it before the reno is a futile topic at best so I won’t go there.

This is for “the boss” so she can watch local news, the Food Network etc. etc. We won’t be watching movies or anything like that. Horror of horrors even the TV speaker will be fine as we want to keep it very simple with only the TV on the wall. Having said that is in possible to stream from a cable box to your TV?? I have asked at FutileShop and heard “no problem”. I’ve gone online and found “Yes” and “No” Someone said try Slingbox, someone said it doesn’t work.

I was hoping that the experts here can get me out of this fog so I can lead a happy and contented life. Keep in mind I’m in Canada which means we have the CRTC to keep all enjoyable things out of our hands.

Also mu knowledge in this field is limited at best, please speak slowly and use small words.

Thanks in advance
Wayne
After a few Google's, I found the Brite-View Air SyncHD Wireless 1080p HD Video/ Audio Transmission Kit, initially on Ebay.

Further, a comment from a user on the AVS forum.

I've never heard of it before.

Good luck!
Posted By: casey01 Re: I'll Cross That Stream When I Come To It - 10/30/12 11:13 PM
Forgive me for asking, but what has the CRTC got to do with this?
I thought it was "I'll burn that bridge when I come to it"

No, wait. That's not it.

Wayne, I wish I could help. It seems like you will need either some copper (and if your TV is on an outside wall, this might be easy) or you'll need some kind of wireless receiver. I think it really depends on the content you want to consume, what kind of TV it is (is it "smart"?), what kind of networking you have available (do you have ethernet at the location? Wireless in your house?), who is your provider (Comcast, Directv, Dish, etc.).

It sounds like you want to watch "cable TV" in there (rather than satellite or streaming from a Network). If that's the case, I think you're going to need copper (i.e. RG6). Won't your cable company do the install for free?

I'm interested to hear how this works out. Wish I could help. It is always so nice to read your posts.

Edit: That Lite-Brite thing looks pretty neat!
Posted By: Ken.C Re: I'll Cross That Stream When I Come To It - 10/30/12 11:55 PM
The way I do it is via the network and my TiVos, so this may not work for you. The TiVo in my main room is hooked up to my cable (well, FiOS), and does all the recording. It is connected to the network wirelessly. The TiVo in the other room is hooked up to the network via ethernet, but that's just because it's in the same room as the router. It could be wireless, too. From the second TiVo, I can copy over shows from the primary and watch them that way.

However, that doesn't give you real-time TV watching. I think if you had a second cable box in your main room and a SlingBox hooked up to it, you could then send the signal from that to a SlingBox hooked up to the dinette. The downside with this is that you will need to rig up something crazy (I think) in order to actually do the tuning from the dining room.

That's really the main problem here. There are many ways to get a video signal to the TV, it's just being able to adjust what you're watching.
Posted By: Murph Re: I'll Cross That Stream When I Come To It - 10/31/12 12:24 PM
That last issue might be overcome by an RF remote with an IR blaster at the controlling device might do the trick if your TV service hase the benefit of an onscreen programming guide. If not, it could still work but you would be navigating blind and likely limited in practicallity to volume and the old fashioned [channel up] or [channel down] tuning.
Posted By: Boltron Re: I'll Cross That Stream When I Come To It - 10/31/12 05:32 PM
I use this RF extender. It works great. I have a TV in the bathroom connected to the cable box in the bedroom. I can use the remote in the bathroom to change channels on the cable box in the bedroom.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00023K...F9XQEB7WWRSEP2F
Posted By: AdrianD Re: I'll Cross That Stream When I Come To It - 11/01/12 03:50 AM
Rogers has a new-ish device: NetBox. You have one Receiver/PVR, and then the NetBox that will stream from the main device. Wireless. Even recorded stuff.
Posted By: Boltron Re: I'll Cross That Stream When I Come To It - 11/01/12 06:53 AM
I make it a point to give Rogers as little of my money as possible.
© Axiom Message Boards