Axiom Home Page
Posted By: TheListener VP-150 Blown Crossover? - 02/07/13 10:33 PM
Just got it on Craigslist for those who didn't read my other thread.

Center is muffled. Been down this road with other speakers. Tweeters have no output. Both of them. Hooked them into a bookshelf and they work fine.

I suspect the crossover, BUT, I noticed the speaker is 6Ohms. My receiver (I tried two different receivers) is rated 8 and it claims it will do 6 as well. Plus there is all kinds of evidence it will run anyway.

So, I was hoping for guidance on this. How do I fix it? Just buy another one (that will cost s fortune won't it?)?
Posted By: CatBrat Re: VP-150 Blown Crossover? - 02/07/13 10:44 PM
Originally Posted By: TheListener
Hooked them (tweeters) into a bookshelf and they work fine.

What does this mean? Hooked them into a bookshelf.
Posted By: TheListener Re: VP-150 Blown Crossover? - 02/07/13 10:59 PM
I took the tweeters from the CC and hooked them in bookshelf. Works. I have removed the crossover. It appears the smaller 6.8 mf capacitor is slightly bulging at the top, appears to have "brown" material out the top. The other capacitors are "smooth," not bulging. Going to see what I can find at Radio Shack.
Posted By: CatBrat Re: VP-150 Blown Crossover? - 02/07/13 11:03 PM
Call Axiom and ask them if that cross-over can be replaced, and how much it would cost. You never know. Also, there are a lot of people that have VP150's just sitting in their closets now that the VP160/VP180 has come out. Might be able to pick up another VP150 on the cheap.
Posted By: TheListener Re: VP-150 Blown Crossover? - 02/07/13 11:10 PM
They are $300 on ebay (the whole unit). Does anyone know if I buy a 6.8uf microfarad capacitor and put it on, will it work?
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: VP-150 Blown Crossover? - 02/07/13 11:37 PM
I would double-check with Axiom.
Posted By: dakkon Re: VP-150 Blown Crossover? - 02/07/13 11:52 PM
yeah, you can. the main thing to watch for is the accuracy. electrical components will have a range of accuracy, from +/- .1 to +/- .01.. the tigher the tolerance the more expensive, but the closer to the exact value the component will be.

If the kind below is the style Axiom used, then this is what i would replace it with one of these.
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=027-336

And yes, a bulging capacitor = a dead capacitor... check all of the others on the cross over as well.

Have you ever done any type of electronics repair before? if not buy a starter ic board kit, and practice with that to learn how to solder before you attempt the fix.
Posted By: TheListener Re: VP-150 Blown Crossover? - 02/08/13 12:36 AM
Problem with that PE is the cap in the crossover is radial, not straight-through. Can I just bend the leads and "make" it a radial type capacitor?

I can do the electronics part. It's been a while but I can do it. I've already removed the cap.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: VP-150 Blown Crossover? - 02/08/13 01:10 AM
Only thing to really worry about is that It has to be bipolar and of the correct spec, other than that solder away.
Posted By: dakkon Re: VP-150 Blown Crossover? - 02/08/13 01:44 AM
http://www.parts-express.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?partnumber=020-1429

to answer your question. Yes you could just bend the leads, at least i dont see any reason why not..
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: VP-150 Blown Crossover? - 02/08/13 02:52 AM
This is a great site,they also have a US site not sure where you are. Great selection of all things electronic . Pars Connexion is where I get my caps and coils for my custom crossovers. I use the Axxon line as that is all I can usually afford. You could redo the complete crossover with upgraded components if so inclined.
© Axiom Message Boards