Axiom Home Page
Posted By: VoicOfReason Crossover setting for VP180 at 40hz? - 04/21/13 09:27 PM
I have always left my VP180 center channel at 60hz crossover. Well, the other day I was re-running Audyssey and accidentally set the center to large and the front M80's to small. I noticed a very nice improvement in the sound. The center sounded more full and rich. I know the best advice is NOT the set the center to FULL, but what about 40hz while leaving the M80's at 60hz?

Does anyone here use this as their default setting?

Any disadvantages?

Thoughts?

Posted By: JohnK Re: Crossover setting for VP180 at 40hz? - 04/22/13 01:25 AM
Peter, some clarification of what you in fact did is necessary. When the front speakers are set "Small", none of the other speakers, including the center, can be set "Large".
Sorry. Yes, you are correct. It was the crossover I set wrong at first. The center was at 40hz and fronts were at 60hz. It sounds better this way, I think. Any disadvantages? Do soundtracks usually even send a lot of LFE/low level information to the center channel anyway?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Crossover setting for VP180 at 40hz? - 04/22/13 03:02 AM
Also, you never want to lower the crossover (ok to set higher) from the setting that was configured by your receiver after running Audyssey. For ex, if Audyssey reports back to your Denon that the -3dB point of a particular speaker is 80Hz, the Denon would set the speaker as "small" with an 80Hz crossover, as Denon uses 40Hz as the determining factor. You would never lower that value, but raising is ok.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Crossover setting for VP180 at 40hz? - 04/22/13 03:26 AM
My Onkyo receiver sets my VP180 to 40hz every time I've run it. Some time I leave it, sometimes I bump it up to 60 or 80hz. Like Randy states, that is OK, wit Audyssey because you are basically removing calibration extension in the lower frequencies. However, if it sets something to, say, 80hz, and you drop it down to 60hz, Audyssey hasn't done any room calibration down between the original 80hz and your new 60hz setting.
Yeah, Audyssey sets everything in front to 40hz default, for me.
Posted By: nickbuol Re: Crossover setting for VP180 at 40hz? - 04/22/13 10:24 AM
It sets my M60s to 60hz in comparison.
© Axiom Message Boards