Axiom Home Page
Posted By: tomtuttle Dust caps and driver shape - 05/23/13 08:28 PM
Andrew's FB post today about "new subwoofer drivers" (complete with pictures) rekindled my interest in the functional and aesthetic differences between convex and concave dust caps.

The product pages seem to indicate that the EP500 now has a convex dust cap.

I really like the look of the single aluminum cone drivers on the EP600/800, the Rythmik subs and some other manufacturers. I like the idea of my dust caps not being dented.

So, since you guys probably read AVS or can Google better than I can or are actual audio professionals...

Is it cheaper (or better) to manufacture drivers with a convex dust cap rather than drivers with a single cone or a concave dust cap? Does it improve the radiation pattern? Does the effect vary by frequency?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Dust caps and driver shape - 05/23/13 08:30 PM
I've seen varying pics of Axiom's current sub drivers. A lot of them seem to be shopped, but I think the current EP350s have convex covers. My EP350, which is pretty current, has a convex cover.

I have nothing helpful to say and I'm half asleep. bduh bduh bduh.
Posted By: dakkon Re: Dust caps and driver shape - 05/24/13 02:27 AM
FB post? i looked at axioms fb page and didnt see anything??
Posted By: JohnK Re: Dust caps and driver shape - 05/24/13 03:35 AM
Tom, the EP500 pictures seem to be mostly still the concave cone without dust-cap. One shows a dust-cap.

The stuff I've read(not much)on this topic discusses high frequency extension and dispersion. This would seem to be a moot point for subs which have essentially omni-directional dispersion.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Dust caps and driver shape - 05/24/13 11:13 AM
You guys are waiting for me to vote on the ones that more resemble boobies, right?
Posted By: brwsaw Re: Dust caps and driver shape - 05/25/13 03:54 PM
Is it me or is posting pictures and no other details a bit of a tease?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Dust caps and driver shape - 05/25/13 04:02 PM
Well... yes.....
Posted By: Adrian Re: Dust caps and driver shape - 05/25/13 05:31 PM
I kind of prefer the insee vs the outee as far as appearance goes but I'd choose one over the other if it was better from a sonic perspective.
© Axiom Message Boards