Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Michael13 Speaker Maintenance - 11/29/13 02:17 PM
Hello All

Not to sure if this has been posted or if there is a sticky somewhere.... i did try to do a search.

Soo i live in a very dry apartment and i am a little concerned with the longevity of my speakers. Is there any oil or water vinegar combo i should be wiping these puppies down with here and there ? also i noticed the veneer is starting to come up in the corner of my M22's should i use any super clue to fasten the corner back down? or is there something you guys could recommend me?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Speaker Maintenance - 11/29/13 07:34 PM
Have you considered getting a humidifier to put moisture in the area? I would not be wiping anything on the speakers like you mentioned, at least I've never heard of anyone doing that...
Posted By: Murph Re: Speaker Maintenance - 12/02/13 01:50 PM
Agreed.
I don't think oil will help veneer. Water and vinegar is a good cleaning agent for many things but won't add to thier longevity. I would not want to get the borders of the veneer wet at all really, so a lightly dampened cloth only if you really need to clean a stain. Dry microfiber for dusting.

If it's that dry, a humidifier might indeed be a healthy investment for your stuff and your skin.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Speaker Maintenance - 12/03/13 03:35 AM
Originally Posted By: Murph
I would not want to get the borders of the veneer wet at all really, so a lightly dampened cloth only if you really need to clean a stain. Dry microfiber for dusting.

Indeed. Dry cloth or damp cloth only should be required.
Even most wood veneer speakers have a urethane finish which doesn't require any oils or special cleaners.

I would contact Axiom about how to possibly repair the veneer peel up so it won't get worse if someone picks at it.
If these were B stock speakers when you bought them, you may have just found the B stock flaw.
Posted By: TroyD Re: Speaker Maintenance - 12/03/13 04:37 PM
I use a micro fibre dry cloth and if there are fingerprints and sometimes oils come off your hands I spray Windex onto the cloth just enough not to make it wet and then wipe. never onto the speakers.
Posted By: TroyD Re: Speaker Maintenance - 12/03/13 04:40 PM
I use a micro fibre dry cloth and if there are fingerprints and sometimes oils come off your hands I spray Windex onto the cloth just enough not to make it wet and then wipe. never onto the speakers.
© Axiom Message Boards