Axiom Home Page
Posted By: txfeinbergs VP180 Inverted - 03/02/14 05:42 AM
Guys, I ordered the VP180 regular version, but probably should have ordered the inverted option. I have the speaker underneath the TV and placed it "upside down" on a low shelf so it aims more toward the listeners. Obviously I am not using the feet since the holes for those are now on the top of the speaker.

Is there any problem in doing this? I would think not since the speaker placement is symmetrical whether or not you have it right-side up or upside down, but wanted to make sure everyone agreed with that reasoning. The only negative I could come up with is that the finish might get scratched sitting directly on the shelf, but not a big deal to me since I am never moving this thing again!

Thanks!
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: VP180 Inverted - 03/02/14 06:37 AM
I'm pretty sure the only difference is the holes for the feet. You're good.
Posted By: brwsaw Re: VP180 Inverted - 03/02/14 06:53 AM
The tweeter might be directional and may need to be flipped too.
There was a video showing it getting changed on a VP100.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lfxcCKC_FoY&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Not sure if its relevant.
Posted By: JohnK Re: VP180 Inverted - 03/02/14 07:44 AM
Yes, I was rather curious about that demonstration by Debbie when it first appeared a couple years ago. The symmetrical arrangement of the drivers would appear to indicate that the tweeter had no actual "upside down"(the Axiom logo might be, but that wouldn't influence performance, of course, as Ian pointed out).
Posted By: txfeinbergs Re: VP180 Inverted - 03/02/14 04:10 PM
That is interesting. Can someone from Axiom comment on whether the tweeter needs to be inverted? I hope not as I really don't want to have to open up the speaker. Thanks for everyone that responded.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: VP180 Inverted - 03/02/14 04:14 PM
I'm almost certain that it was just to fix the logo orientation on the tweeter.
Posted By: txfeinbergs Re: VP180 Inverted - 03/02/14 05:13 PM
Ok, that makes sense. Now I just need to get my M60 to M80 trade-up approval confirmed before they increase the price of the M80's to v4 pricing. smile
Posted By: brwsaw Re: VP180 Inverted - 03/02/14 06:14 PM
Makes sense
© Axiom Message Boards