Axiom Home Page
Posted By: 2x6spds Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 03/23/16 09:45 PM
No volume control on 2 unmarked inputs. Just passes through signal at maximum volume. No manual for the Candela.

Very exciting with the M100s.
Betcha THAT woke you up!
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 03/23/16 10:57 PM
Oh Yeah, that was pretty exciting.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 03/24/16 04:17 AM
I worked on a 1950s Philco TV in Grade 12. The kind with the rotating CRT. I touched the flyback transformer and evaporated the fingerprint from my right index finger. That woke me up. I bet it was more exciting than the Candela.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 03/24/16 07:11 AM
That must have been very exciting!

I just dropped off a TEAC 4300 reel to reel with Hans my local electronics and cuckoo clock repair person, and he had a Philco TV that looked like it came from the set of Lost in Space. It was gold colored and the CRT stood above the case.

Is that the one that smoothed your finger tip?
Posted By: BobKay Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 03/24/16 08:14 PM
Originally Posted By Mojo
I worked on a 1950s Philco TV in Grade 12. The kind with the rotating CRT. I touched the flyback transformer and evaporated the fingerprint from my right index finger. That woke me up. I bet it was more exciting than the Candela.

That's some coincidence! I think 2X6 worked on a 1950's Philco when he was in grade 12, except the TV was only a year old at the time.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 03/24/16 08:20 PM
Originally Posted By 2x6spds
That must have been very exciting!

I just dropped off a TEAC 4300 reel to reel with Hans my local electronics and cuckoo clock repair person...

I don't know if I'd trust a nutty clock repair person with my TEAC.

We can agree on one thing; M100's sound great and they sound great loud. At the end of the day, that's all that matters. Hey, it's the end of the day. Time to further diminish my hearing. (Lost in Space, ha! Saw every one. Each worse then the last. Didn't care. It was Sci-Fi and it was free.)
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 03/24/16 10:22 PM
What are you talking about?

Snarky, treacherous Dr. Smith?!? Danger, Danger Will Robinson? Stern, upright, Republican parents. the first minivan. It was a terrific show.
I have the DVDs!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 03/25/16 02:11 AM
The one I worked on was tan. Multiple problems with it but the nastiest one was an intermittent cap in the grid circuit of the twin triode for the horizontal oscillator. That caused me no end of grief. That was 33 years ago and I remember it like it was yesterday.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 03/26/16 03:52 PM
What are you talking about?

Snarky, treacherous Dr. Smith?!? Danger, Danger Will Robinson? Stern, upright, Republican parents. the first minivan. It was a terrific show.

O!F! I'm doing it again! "Two-by," I have to agree, but only for the first season. LIS ran from '65-68. Star Trek ran from '66-69. As soon as IT hit the air, it made LIS feel like Sci-Fi for the Saturday morning set and Star Trek was for adults. I still watched LIS, but ST was more exciting.

There was no skin on LIS. Everyone was dressed up to their throat, but always a possibility of flesh on ST. Hey, I was between 13-16 for it's run, whaddya expect? Plus, on LIS, no one ever scored. That happened almost every week on ST.

And he's STILL out there pushin' crap all over TV in his 80's. Another hard-working Canadian defector, well, until November.
I was younger than BobK. Still am.

LIS was the right show at the right age for me..... though I think I remember even then thinking that Judy was hot.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 03/26/16 07:29 PM
You mean she was attractive. "Hot" cannot be discerned under 14 yards of polyester pant suit.
OK, Attractive. Very.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 03/27/16 05:16 PM
the original Battlestar Galactica was OK, little boy with robot dog sort of ruined it, but the reprise Galactica was dark, edgy and terrific, my favorite Sci-fi series of all time.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 04/01/16 12:08 AM
the original Battlestar Galactica was OK, little boy with robot dog sort of ruined it, but the reprise Galactica was dark, edgy and terrific, my favorite Sci-fi series of all time.

It's a miracle! 2x6 and I agree on something.
Posted By: MMM Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 04/01/16 01:14 AM
Originally Posted By BobKay
You mean she was attractive. "Hot" cannot be discerned under 14 yards of polyester pant suit.

Polyester pant suit.. are you playing Leisure Suit Larry again Bob?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 04/01/16 03:48 AM
Err, she was 12. Six on the other hand ...
Posted By: BobKay Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 04/02/16 06:48 PM
Originally Posted By oakvillematt
Originally Posted By BobKay

Polyester pant suit.. are you playing Leisure Suit Larry again Bob?

The unisex, polyester pantsuit was a crime unleashed upon an unwitting public right around 1970. Those us of wannabee hippies derided them. Hence: "If it melts rather than burns when you light it, don't wear it." Keep on truckin,' Mama!

Really, if the head of your ciggie fell into your polyester-clad lap, your pants turned into Napalm.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 04/02/16 07:18 PM
Favorite childhood 50's/60's Sci-Fi films: Invaders from Mars, The Time Machine, Robinson Caruso on Mars, THX 1138. Fave adult ones: tie--Alien and Director's cut of Bladerunner, still. I thought Avatar, as a film, couldn't compare to either.

Fave Sci-Fi series has to be ST, Deep Space 9.

I feel like I'm pimping for you guys, but I think the two most amazing, drop-dead women ever in Sci-Fi are the woman who was the head of The Borg, in that single piece, silver sparkle leotard, and the woman from a short-lived series called Lexx. There were only 3 characters; two male (loser) humans and a female sexbot who wore the tiniest pleated skirt possible and had a body like a chrome silhouette on a truck wheel flap.

Gawd, now I feel so dirty. I don't know how you guys live with yourselves.
Posted By: MMM Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 04/02/16 09:10 PM
Come on Bob. We all know it's the women from Buck Rogers tv show that take the drop dead sex goddess title.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 04/13/16 05:14 AM
Lady Penelope Creighton-Ward. A goddess!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J5EZ3o86QaA&nohtml5=False
Posted By: BobKay Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 04/13/16 03:53 PM
I haven't thought of that in decades! I loved that show!

Thanks, Mojo. The car chase was great!
Posted By: Mojo Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 04/13/16 04:40 PM
Check out the episode titled Pit of Peril on youtube.
Posted By: BobKay Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 04/13/16 09:36 PM
Originally Posted By Mojo
Check out the episode titled Pit of Peril on youtube.

On Friday, I'll ask my shrink if I can regress that far without hurting myself (or others). If he say it's OK, I SAS will.
Posted By: Mojo Re: Anyone Have an Odyssey Candela Preamp? - 04/13/16 09:58 PM
LOL!
© Axiom Message Boards