Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C RCA to XLR - 04/16/16 10:58 AM
I have an EP350v...3? The one with the joint XLR+1/4" plug on the back instead of an RCA. My receiver only has RCA outs.

The sub's 1/4" plug connection is extraordinarily unreliable regardless of cable or adapter, so I'm thinking about using one of these: http://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=4778.

I remember some discussion about this, but I don't remember the upshot.
Posted By: MMM Re: RCA to XLR - 04/16/16 11:50 AM
I have used them in the past and they did a wonderful job. If you were closer, you could have a couple of mine. Got 6 as it was the only way to get my old MCA5 amp to play nice with the LFR DSP.

for the cost. just go with it.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: RCA to XLR - 04/17/16 02:14 AM
Bought it, I'll give it a shot and see what happens.
Posted By: CV Re: RCA to XLR - 04/17/16 02:34 AM
I'm currently using an RCA-to-XLR adapter to connect the sub cable with RCA terminations coming from the receiver to the first sub, and from there I use XLRs to the rest of the subs in the chain. I preferred the pliability of the Monoprice XLR cables to the other brand I had before. Can't remember which brand that was. Very easy to route around.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: RCA to XLR - 04/17/16 02:41 AM
Cool. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to be dealing with crazy level issues or anything. At the moment it's really a guessing game of whether the thing is working or not... which is irritating.
Posted By: alan Re: RCA to XLR - 04/17/16 03:33 PM
Hi Ken,
I can't recall if the EP350 v3 has separate high-level (speaker-level) inputs (it must have to enable operation with older gear lacking a dedicated subwoofer output). If so, you could use those to check if the sub is actually working or not. Just connect one of the left or right speaker leads to the high-level input and see if the sub activates with music programming.

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: Ken.C Re: RCA to XLR - 04/17/16 05:21 PM
It's definitely working, because I can make it play if I hold the 1/4" plug juuuuuuust right. Haven't had a chance to test the XLR yet.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: RCA to XLR - 04/19/16 07:12 PM
Works peachy keen!
Posted By: SBrown Re: RCA to XLR - 04/19/16 07:34 PM
I'm using two the other way, XLR out to my RCA sub ins. Glad that Monoprice will make whatever you need for pretty good quality and a hell of a good price.
Posted By: DrStrangeQuark Re: RCA to XLR - 04/30/16 04:02 PM
Originally Posted By Ken.C
Cool. Just wanted to be sure I wasn't going to be dealing with crazy level issues or anything. At the moment it's really a guessing game of whether the thing is working or not... which is irritating.

I'm using those same connectors from Monoprice. The low-level connections wired through my walls are all XLR, but the only equipment I have at the moment that uses balanced in/out are the dual ep500 subs (awesome). The receiver uses rca outs, and I use an rca->xlr to get the signal into the wall. Then, I use a standard xlr cable to take the signal out from the wall and into the sub. I was getting level issues, and I think the reason is that the xlr input expects both live legs to be swinging relative to ground in opposite directions. If only one is swinging, the net voltage difference is halved. This corresponds to a 6db suppression, which has to be compensated by boosting the level in the source -- at least I think that is what is happening. I haven't done an audyssey level matching yet (surrounds aren't even hung yet), but I wanted to really enjoy the bass, and actually boosted them all the way to 12db (I did listen to the test tones, and this may not really be far too far off the correct balance). Amazing -- shaking the chairs.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: RCA to XLR - 05/20/16 12:34 PM
It's amazing how much better it sounds with the XLR cable.

Because now it's making sound at all.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: RCA to XLR - 05/20/16 02:41 PM
Balanced = Veil Lifted
Posted By: DrStrangeQuark Re: RCA to XLR - 05/21/16 11:44 PM
Originally Posted By MarkSJohnson
Balanced = Veil Lifted

Mark -- very intriguing. Are you referring to an all-else-equal scenario (same equipment, but only altering the mode of connection; also, level matched)? I assume the connection you're talking about is from a balance preamp to an outboard amp (or perhaps a sub with one built in)? How long a run of cable is the balanced interconnect you're referring to?

I have a notion of moving at some point in the future (several years from now if ever) to a Marantz pre with balanced outs, and separate mono amps at the location of my mains and center (VP180 and m80s, V4). One wonders if this would be a "real" upgrade (noticeable in the sound) vs. a "vanity" upgrade (and there are more moving parts in the equation than just the balanced signal). BUT .. I have prewired all locations for signal level (balanced) and amplified (speaker cable) alternatives, so it is of interest to hear your thoughts & some details on the context.

Cheers - SQ
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: RCA to XLR - 05/22/16 12:10 AM
Sorry, SQ, it was just a joke. Ken hates the terminology of a "Veil Lifted". smile
Posted By: DrStrangeQuark Re: RCA to XLR - 05/22/16 12:43 AM
Originally Posted By MarkSJohnson
Sorry, SQ, it was just a joke. Ken hates the terminology of a "Veil Lifted". smile

Hook, line, sinker! blush
Posted By: MMM Re: RCA to XLR - 05/22/16 07:02 AM
Yes. it was one of the pitfalls that I fell into.

But then again, i will say that XLR did do wonders for my sub woofer installs. Over a short run they don't really make any difference at all assuming that you have a clean ground,

I have seen people who believe that placing a mono block amp right next to the speaker so that the speaker cable is as short as it possible can be, then XLR can be a god sent. But then again it's those types of people who also believe that they can hear a difference between $1/m 12 gague speaker cable, and custom 99.999% oxygen free custom cables at $2500/m
Posted By: DrStrangeQuark Re: RCA to XLR - 05/22/16 03:06 PM
Matt, Thanks.

That's my idea .. Do the 30' run from rack to mains over xlr, then power mono (outlaw m2200) & attach a short run (2') of speaker cable.

It is elegant (I think), but who knows if it really affects things much in the end if already starting from a solid system (& this is a multi-variable change-up). In any event, the idea of taking load for the front 3 off of the combo amp & getting some extra headroom seems more or less sensible.

Anyway, I'm definitely in the cables from monoprice camp. But, I can also appreciate elegant & well engineered electronics for their intrinsic beauty, even if gains are marginal. Not sure that is consistent, but oh well!

SQ
© Axiom Message Boards