Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Rock how to connect NAD 356BEE to EP500 - 06/17/16 02:52 AM
Hi,

Just received EP500 to pair my M22 with NAD 356BEE. Tried to use speaker B of amp to drive sub but the bass is very weak even when I shut speaker A.

356 has two pre-outs so one of them could be used as low level input for 500. Should I get a 2RCA to 1RCA adapter to connect with the 500?

What is the best way to connect 500? Balanced/RCA/speaker?

Thanks.
Posted By: alan Re: how to connect NAD 356BEE to EP500 - 06/17/16 02:15 PM
Hi Rock,

Because your NAD 356 lacks a dedicated low-level subwoofer output jack, you should use the high-level (speaker-level) outputs on the Nad to connect to the high-level inputs on the EP500. The speaker leads then go from the EP500 to each M22 speaker.
The EP500 will extract a tiny voltage from the Nad amp's left and right-channel outputs--there is no loss of fidelity--and then you can use the EP500's crossover control to route the low bass to the subwoofer. Set the crossover on the EP500 to about 80 Hz.

There is no need for balanced outputs; your NAD lacks balanced output jacks, so there's no point.

An alternative hook-up would be to run a set of high-level (speaker-level) wires from the B speaker output to the subwoofer's high level inputs, and a second set of speaker leads from the NAD's A speaker output to the M22s, but then you'd need to run the A + B speaker outputs together. You could still independently trim the subwoofer volume and blend with the M22s using the subwoofer volume control. Set the sub crossover at 80 Hz as before. This would give you the flexibility to run the M22s without the sub by using the A speaker outputs to drive the M22s without the EP500.

Properly adjusted, you shouldn't ever "hear" the subwoofer as a source of sound. You should just hear the greatly extended deep bass from 50 Hz down to 20 Hz.

Regards,

Alan
Posted By: Rock Re: how to connect NAD 356BEE to EP500 - 06/17/16 03:10 PM
Thanks Alan.

The second option is what is set now. I have to turn BASS to maximum on NAD to have good amount of bass out of 500. When I shut speaker A off, I can hear clearly how much volume I can get from 500 and walk around to find a good placement.

For the first option, do I just insert speaker wires from M22s into the same input since I don't have long enough wires to connect M22 and 500.

NAD does have a pre-out 2 which could be used for subwoofer while pre-out 1 is back to Main in for M22s. would this be a better option since I can turn bass to minimum on NAD to have less overlapping low frequency sound. If I do so, I would need 2 RCA to 1 RCA adapter to connect RCA cables to 500, is that right?

Just want to figure out which option is the best to go.

Rock
Posted By: alan Re: how to connect NAD 356BEE to EP500 - 06/17/16 04:40 PM
You shouldn't have to touch the bass control on the Nad at all to get significant output from the EP500. Are you adjusting the EP500's volume control? Set it at around the 11 o'clock position to start anad the volume on the NAD to about halfway. Play a well recorded rock or jazz CD or LP with good electric or acoustic bass.

You ARE using the speaker-level outputs in to the EP500, right? (not the RCA jack pre-outs).
Where do you have the EP500's crossover control set?
Posted By: alan Re: how to connect NAD 356BEE to EP500 - 06/17/16 05:40 PM
Rock, there is no "best" option, since the Nad lacks a dedicated subwoofer output jack.

If you want to try using the low-level pre-outs on the Nad, you will need to run separate left and right RCA cables to the left and right-channel RCA inputs on the EP500. You don't want to use a 2-to-1 RCA connector, as that will electrically link the left and right channel preamp sections together inside the Nad. Electrons move in both directions.
Set the sub volume and and Nad volume as I indicated and leave the bass control centered; sub crossover at 80 Hz.

All crossovers result in "overlapping" bass into the sub and into the M22s, according to the slope of the crossover. It's desirable for a smooth transition, as the M22s begin to run out of steam at 50 Hz or so. The sub then fills in as the M22s bass diminishes.

Alan
Posted By: JohnK Re: how to connect NAD 356BEE to EP500 - 06/18/16 10:57 AM
Rock, Alan's excellent responses that you use the speaker level connections are the most practical with the equipment that you have. As he points out, the 386 has no balanced output, so that isn't an option. The two low level outputs can't be safely combined with a "Y" connector to feed the single EP500 low level input without creating a feedback of voltage into the 356.

There should be no level problem if you set the volume control on the EP500 at an appropriate setting. The bass control on the 356 should not be used.

As to "overlap" in the bass between the EP500 and M22s, you should note that although Axiom terms the EP500 control a "crossover" it isn't a full crossover which rolls off the sub above the selected number and rolls off the speakers below that number. More accurately it's a low pass filter which rolls off the sub but has no effect on the frequencies fed to the speakers. The M22s continue to get the full bass range to play within their capability. Setting a lower number on the low pass filter(e.g., 60 rather than 80Hz), reduces the overlap in the 60-80 Hz area where the M22s are still strong and can be tried to see if you prefer it.
Posted By: Rock Re: how to connect NAD 356BEE to EP500 - 06/18/16 11:32 AM
Thank you both for the great explanation and instruction.

Now it is working and the bass is deep and solid.

For m22 and ep500, sould I use bare wire for connection?
Posted By: alan Re: how to connect NAD 356BEE to EP500 - 06/18/16 04:28 PM
Hi Rock,
I'm glad you have things working well.

To answer your question about using "bare wire" between the Nad and the EP500, I figure you mean bared wire at the ends of the speaker cables. Sure, that will make an excellent connection. Twist the wire strands together before you stick the wires through the holes in the binding posts (if that's what you have) to make certain a stray strand doesn't cause a short circuit between the positive and negative terminals. Lots of enthusiasts use banana plugs for their convenience. ONce the speaker cables are either soldered or connected with a set screw to the banana plugs, you can then unplug the the speaker cables with ease -- or plug them back in. Keep the positive (red) and negative (black) connections consistent from to avoid phase problems.
There are aother types of connectors available as well--spades, for example, but banana plugs are certainly convenient so long as the Nad accepts them at the speaker terminals.

Axiom used to sell nice gold-plated banana plugs. I've been retired for a few years so I don't know if that's still the case. Otherwise, check out monoprice.com

Regards,
Alan
Posted By: Rock Re: how to connect NAD 356BEE to EP500 - 06/19/16 01:54 AM
I do use bared wires for speaker cable connection between NAD and EP500. Only banana plugs on M22s. If both make good connection then I will keep them as is.

Once again thanks for the great help.
© Axiom Message Boards