Axiom Home Page
Posted By: avian DVD Recorders - 09/29/03 09:06 PM
I may be considering a DVD recorder as my next home theater purchase. However, my knowledge in that area is limited at best. So several questions spring to mind - are DVD recorders able to record dolby digital 5.1 sound if the source (say a movie channel) is airing a movie with 5.1 sound? Also, should I use DVD+R or DVD+RW disks; and what is the maximum number of recordable hours per disk? Will the picture quality be as good as the original source? Thanks for your input.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: DVD Recorders - 09/29/03 09:10 PM
DVD+RW costs more than DVD+R, so that would probably enter the equation. Usually, the ones that will write +R will also write +RW.

However, there is also DVD-R and DVD-RW out there. If you can find one that writes all four kinds, I'd go with that. They're still shaking out the standards.
Posted By: Semi_On Re: DVD Recorders - 09/29/03 09:37 PM
I don't think the standalone units are worthwhile. If you can deal with the added complexity, you'd be better suited with a capture card and a DVD+-R/RW drive from Plextor or Sony.
Posted By: groundnull Re: DVD Recorders - 09/30/03 12:09 AM
I've got a Panasonic E30 standalone. Its great for tranferring your VHS library to DVD-R. As doesn't have a digital to digital link, you can't copy direct from a camcorder, etc.

However, there are more expensive units that allow digital to digital copies.

I like the unit because its a no brainer. Start it up and a couple of hours later, you've got a DVD. Using my PC is much more complicated but you can do fancy editing.

Simple or complicated. Your choice.
Posted By: avian Re: DVD Recorders - 09/30/03 02:19 PM
Thanks all for your input. Seems like I will have to wait a while before I think of replacing my VCR with a DVD recorder.
Posted By: curtis Re: DVD Recorders - 09/30/03 07:18 PM
Replace it with the Toshiba's device that has TiVo technology and a DVD-burner!
© Axiom Message Boards