Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Rock M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 12:02 AM
Good evening,

I got the FMS16 Stands for my M22s. The height of the tweeter is 3', and my ear level is 3'8".

Is this all right? I am not very high, 5'11".

If the speakers are not high enough, how could I increase its height?

Thanks.
Posted By: Mojo Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 01:40 AM
Are your ears somewhere around your armpits? This may be why you are encountering distortion problems.
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 01:53 AM
Raise the stands up with some books or something see if things improve
Posted By: Mojo Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 02:06 AM
How would that improve things? He's already told us his ears are by his armpits. I quote: "...my ear level is 3'8". Is this all right? I am not very high, 5'11".
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 03:13 AM
WTF is your deal. His speakers are 3ft to tweeter his ears are 3'8" his head is above the tweeter when he is seated. Raise the speakers.
Posted By: Mojo Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 03:41 AM
His ears are at 3'8" and he's 5'11" tall. Read his post!
Posted By: Gr8_White_North Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 04:07 AM
do you stand up when you listen to music doh
Posted By: Mojo Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 04:27 AM
I stand up when I listen to vinyl so I can hear the highs better.

All I'm sayin' is, with his ears by his armpits, he has bigger problems than the placement of his speakers. He needs some serious medical attention.
Posted By: Rock Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 03:04 PM
LOL:)

Sorry I didn't put it clearer.

I was talking about my ear height when sitting in a sofa.

FMS16 is supposed to be ear level high design. Not sure 8" difference would make much difference.
Posted By: Mojo Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 03:18 PM
smile

I would say you should experiment. The VP150 for example is sensitive to height. The M80v2 is far less sensitive.
Posted By: alan Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 03:20 PM
Rock, it wouldn't. The dispersion of the M22s' tweeters is sufficiently good that a few inches difference in elevation shouldn't matter. You can still experiment if you wish. . .

Alan
Posted By: BBIBH Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 07:21 PM
Wow....just wow....Rock, it was clear what you meant, ignore the noise.....
Posted By: Mojo Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 07:31 PM
No noise...no fun.
Posted By: bridgman Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/23/17 09:45 PM
I don't think you will see a lot of difference between "tweeters at ear height" and "tweeters 8" below ear height". I personally like tweeters to be a bit above ear height but that seems to be a minority view.

That said...

1. Looks like the only difference between FMS-16 and -24 is the length of the tube, so you might be able to work something out with Axiom.

2. You could probably replace the base with some kind of small (but heavy) open-at-the-front box which could double as a holder for magazines, sheet music or something similar.

A sufficiently heavy box plus a bracket-thing that screws into the tapped hole on the back of the M22 could make the combination pretty daughter-proof.
Posted By: Rock Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/24/17 01:25 AM
Got to be a handy man. But that is something I could think about:)
Posted By: bridgman Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/24/17 06:23 AM
I did a bit more trial & error stuff tonight; put the M3v4's upside-down on top of the M60's, so ~39" stand. Thought that was a couple of inches too high for my liking.

I'm about 6" taller than you, so subtracting that plus a couple of inches for "inverted" plus a couple of inches for "a bit too high" suggests that in your situation I would want stands around 29" tall, so lots of room for building up the base.

Music under test was Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells, Jacqui Naylor's Live East West, and Supertramp's Crime of the Century. Damn, I forgot how good Crime of the Century sounds, going back to listen some more.

If you want to be a handyman without actually investing time / effort / money, look into the Kreg pocket hole jig. It's sort of like cheating but nobody complains if you get caught.
Posted By: Rock Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/24/17 01:21 PM
For now I sit on a lower chair/stood and haven't heard much differences yet. I think the bigger issue for my situation is actually the open room with too much furniture and not enough carpets/curtains.

Do you know where I could get some beautiful and wife acceptable wall decoration which could be hanged on wall to absorb sound? That would make some significant impact I guess. Thx.
Posted By: bridgman Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/24/17 02:15 PM
One of the members here made some stunningly beautiful absorber panels; don't remember who but hopefully someone will.

EDIT - might have been nickbuol:

4th post in this thread

nickbuol showing off panels

I think at least one other forum member made up some artwork-covered panels but no longer sure.
Posted By: bridgman Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/24/17 03:56 PM
BTW if you have kids planned or happening here's another tip that might help sell your wife on the idea:

Quote:
The acoustic treatments made a big difference in this room. There is still a bit of liveliness to the room, it's not completely dead, but it very controlled and sounds very good. In fact when the baby is having a melt down we typically take him to the theater because it's easier on the ears than our still barren walls in the main living areas.

link
Posted By: AAAA Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/24/17 07:27 PM
Cough. Cough....

Sent you a pm.
Posted By: bridgman Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/24/17 10:22 PM
I don't see the PM - any chance you sent to "bridgeman" ?
Posted By: AAAA Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/25/17 01:43 PM
smile I was offering Rock some in depth help if he wants.

I still haven't figured out how to model your loft with any reliable outcome (and I've been thinking on it from time to time.)
Posted By: bridgman Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/25/17 05:33 PM
D'oh !!
Posted By: Rock Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/27/17 03:22 PM
LOL:) Great idea.
Posted By: Rock Re: M22 stand for ear high? - 03/27/17 03:23 PM
Great experiment to improve the performance and gave a a lot of ideas. Thx.
© Axiom Message Boards