Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Nexus M2i - Aluminum Woofer Question - 10/27/03 03:04 AM
When you say the M2i has an Aluminum Woofer, does this mean it has an Aluminum cone or is the actual structure Aluminum?
Posted By: Haoleb Re: M2i - Aluminum Woofer Question - 10/27/03 04:20 AM
Aluminum cone.

If it were an aluminum frame it would read something like:

Cast aluminum basket or around there.
Posted By: DJ_Stunna Re: M2i - Aluminum Woofer Question - 10/27/03 04:30 AM
Yeap, the actual cone is aluminum; it is done so that it is lightweight and moves more freely (less inertia). A well done Aluminum cone can have the same benefits as implementing a phase plug (but without the added dust factor), and without the added ventilation (even though the cone acts as somewhat of a heatsink, it doesn't have too much of an effect.) The heat dissipation abilities of the aluminum cone I would belive are akin to that of an aluminum computer case (marginally better, but nothing to write home about). Although I must say, the metal cones are extremely cold to the touch when not in use (and they seem to get a bit warmer when in use, which is a good thing.)

But the fact remains that it makes the cone considerably lighter, which will improve your mid-bass accuracy.
Posted By: sushi Re: M2i - Aluminum Woofer Question - 10/30/03 11:13 PM
In addition to the lower mass, another major benefit of the aluminum-based cone is its higher rigidity, i.e., higher internal velocity of sound propagation. This means that the cone moves uniformly (without "breaking up") over a wider frequency range. A potential drawback of the aluminum cone its low intrinsic acoustic loss, or high Q around the upper-end resonance frequencies. They usually need some kind of laminated aluminum materials to "dump" the resonance (I don't know what exact treatments the Axiom cones receive).

I believe that heatsinking ability of the aluminum cone becomes fairly significant when the speaker is driven at high average power levels.
© Axiom Message Boards