Axiom Home Page
Posted By: TerryD 4 ohm Axioms with a JVC RX-6000VBK Receiver? - 10/02/18 05:29 PM
I am attracted to a system comprised of L, R and a Center channel only. A subwoofer is a definite "maybe" at some time in the future, but more likely not.

Intelligibility of center channel dialogue seems lacking with my present set up which is M22 On-Wall for L&R plus a VP100 for the center.
The receiver is old but is in perfect working order and has adequate power with 100 watts/ch. But, the owner's manual clearly states
CAUTION
Use speakers with the SPEAKER IMPEDANCE indicated by the speaker terminals"

Those terminals are, needless to say, labeled 8-16 ohms.

So, it seems clear. Not recommended. Even forbidden!

I'd like to use M80 On-Wall and a VP180 without buying a new receiver, but . . .
What would the most economical receiver be that can safely handle these 4 ohm Axioms? I am not concerned with extreme SPLs in my living room.
What receiver are you using?
Originally Posted By Mojo
What receiver are you using?

It is listed in the post title
Lol. Thanks.
That receiver has an overload detection circuit in it and will annunciate "OVERLOAD" on the LCD panel. If you keep it well-ventilated and don't crank it, it will be fine. Many of us use M80s with receivers not rated for 4 Ohms.
Total Harmonic Distortion of 0.8% and a frequency response of only 40-20000 Hz? I'm sorry, but your speakers aren't the problem, your receiver is.
The 4 ohm Axioms won't hurt the sound, it'll just put the receiver at risk; and as Mojo said, that receiver should go into protection if you're driving it too hard (e.g., loud).

I don't think the frequency response is the problem, because center channel complaints usually occur above 20-40 Hz that the JVC lacks. The THD doesn't bother me too much either. I think the problem is the lack of a calibration feature on the receiver.

TerryD, you might consider getting a receiver that can be tuned; almost all of them have that now. (I'd look at Yamaha, Denon, or Marantz).
© Axiom Message Boards