Axiom Home Page
Posted By: getoffb Advantages to Cylinder Subs? - 01/28/04 05:12 AM
What are the advantages, if any, to having a cylinder sub, like those over at SVS, compared to having a typical box sub like those from Axiom or Hsu?
Posted By: BrenR Re: Advantages to Cylinder Subs? - 01/28/04 05:32 AM
I know they were all the rage for a while in the early 90s for isobaric applications (and city water and waste kept losing piles of pipe to DIYers)... but I haven't actually seen anyone use one since then.

Bren R.
Posted By: curtis Re: Advantages to Cylinder Subs? - 01/28/04 06:32 AM
Hsu actually had cylinders before SVS, and their top of the line sub is still a cylinder, the TN1220.

Cylinders are structrurally more stiff and do not need the extra bracing that boxes need. This keeps costs and weight down.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: Advantages to Cylinder Subs? - 01/28/04 12:07 PM
Cost of manufacturing, weight, shipping all favour the cylinder. If you want multi drivers then you go for a box. Due to the increased height it must be a lot easier to design a vented application for a cylinder than a box.

But when it comes to your ears if the internal volume is equal then there is no audible difference at all between the two designs.
Posted By: sputnikv8 Re: Advantages to Cylinder Subs? - 01/28/04 02:36 PM
Above are all correct. Cost savings is probably the main advantage. To me, with kids, they are a disadvantage.

Some are top-heavy, fabric covering on the outside (a cat would tear it up too), kool-aid spill into the top would be directly on the driver.

Not ALL models have these characteristics, the ones I looked at did and I stayed away.
Posted By: ralderman Re: Advantages to Cylinder Subs? - 01/29/04 02:57 AM
I recently bought one from SVS and it's one of the most impressive subs I have ever used. I have had lots of compliments on this sub. It blends great with the Axiom M80's. I only have the sub turned up about 1/3 of the way and reach 100db with ease. This is the 25-31pci sub. My wife has asked many times "what was that" or "is there a plane flying over". This sub is so easy to place in the room and make it transparent to the listener.
They are down firing subs, and are not top heavy. I have also been very impressed with their support. I have emailed them a few times and had immediate responses.

They have been a great company to deal with. I would put them on the level with Axiom.

Rick
© Axiom Message Boards