Axiom Home Page
Posted By: BrenR Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 07:03 AM
As I've mentioned for a while, we just bought a new house (new to us, been previously owned)... and it's been bothering me that there are two 12-ohm 5" single paper cone drivers in the ceiling in the basement living room that I have no idea where they lead... finally got some time, decided to follow it, see where it led... from one speaker, I traced it back from 20ga. zip wire where it was marretted (wire nutted) onto some ETL (telephone grade 4 conductor), then twisted and electrical taped to some CAT3, where it was split, one end ran to some old screw-together solder-type RCAs in a cold air return (luckily I was able to fish them out without them falling off)... the other end was twisted onto (honestly) 16ga lamp cord and led to the other speaker.

I should have tried driving them just for a laugh.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 07:51 AM
Ah, true high quality in wall speakers. Bet they sound great! (of course, they'd probably set your equipment on fire or something...)
Posted By: tomtuttle Re: Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 04:39 PM
You made that up!

Isn't it amazing the way people haywire stuff together sometimes?

Congrats on the new house. I hope you have many happy years there.

So, since you have holes in the ceiling anyway, you gonna fish some real war (i.e. Texan for "wire"), and put some actual hi-fi drivers in there?
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 05:33 PM
That is funny.
What is more funny is that when we moved into this house, there was a purple door.
No particular reason, it was just purple.

Ok so i don't think that was that funny, but it's true.
BrenR's story was much better.

Pointless thread continuing....
Posted By: BrenR Re: Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 05:46 PM
I wish I could say it was a joke, but no...

See fig. 1
(l-r)
1) shows correct CSA approved wiring of RCA jacks to phone cable (green and yellow to left channel, black to right channel, leave red wire stripped but flailing wildly)
2) shows correct way to combine and split an audio signal, use no more than one marrette and 12" of electrical tape.
3) fueling the "does speaker wire matter" debate, always use two marrettes to attach telephone cable to lamp cord, note RG59 coaxial running willy-nilly in background.

And no, I won't be ceiling mounting other drivers... replacing the suspended ceiling down there with the much sexier "reveal type" panels. Oh, and if anyone needs some, I've got about 200ft of old 300ohm flat coax coiled up in the ceiling as well...

Bren R.
Posted By: Raindance Re: Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 06:06 PM
I wouldn't be so quick to get rid of those wires- that's a work of art, Bren.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 06:28 PM
When we first moved into our house, the odd thing i found was a coaxial cable plugin OUTSIDE on the side of our shed.
I could bring the big 51" Toshiba out there and watch football on the deck!
In case anyone thinks this is a good idea especially with the Superbowl coming up, check out the present weather out in western Canada this week.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 07:13 PM
If I want to check out the local (Winnipeg) weather, I stick my head out the door...

When my earring freezes taking out the garbage, I stay indoors as much as possible...

Damn, two games this weekend, hope the car starts afterwards... I may be running out to do pre-emptive starts every intermission.

Bren R.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 07:18 PM
I played last night.
By the time we left the Highlander, the temps were -38C w/o wind.
The wife stayed home today. I honestly don't think our vehicles would start, plugged in or not.
Well, maybe the Civic. Those crazy Japanese really know how to build a car.
Now i have this craving for some sashimi.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 07:18 PM
Well, I never thought it possible. But, you've made me feel that January in Cleveland is actually good. BRRRRRRR!
Posted By: BrenR Re: Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 07:36 PM
Funny part is, the weekend games are against Houston... wonder how much they'll be wishing they were back in Texas.

Welcome to Manitoba...!

Bren R.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 07:41 PM
Ajax,
I actually read this a.m. that yesterday in Brandon, the temperature was -55 Celcius (that's with windchill factored in - something like humidex for those of you not familiar, it's what the temperature FEELS like)!!!! Exposed skin freezes in 2 minutes.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 08:05 PM
[texas accent]
I'm fixin' to git on the eenerneyet to get myself some speaker wahr.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Off topic but funny - 01/29/04 09:40 PM
Sid! Knock it off! Us southerners would translate -55 Celsius to -67 Fahrenheit. I'm shivering just thinking about it, and I'm indoors.

At the risk of showing my geographic ignorance, I'm assuming Brandon is somewhere North of Cleveland.

Posted By: BigWill Re: Off topic but funny - 01/30/04 04:19 AM
I think our overnight low here in the Inland Empire of soCal was about 47*. Of course, if you want the weather you have to put up with all the liberal-minded folk down here, too.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Off topic but funny - 01/30/04 05:20 AM
In reply to:

At the risk of showing my geographic ignorance, I'm assuming Brandon is somewhere North of Cleveland.

Start on the 49th parallel where Manitoba meets North Dakota... drive NNE for about 2.5 hours.

Bren R.
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Off topic but funny - 01/30/04 02:54 PM
sorry for the daily weather reports, but -52 Celcius here today. They say a lot of the Northwest Territories (think north pole) has been warmer than us this week!
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Off topic but funny - 01/30/04 04:02 PM
just to one-up my earlier comment, apparently a town called Meadow Lake located in Saskatchewan (they're pretty much straight east of Edmonton) recorded -60 Celcius yesterday.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Off topic but funny - 01/30/04 04:14 PM
The coldest place on earth yesterday was in Saskatchewan.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Off topic but funny - 01/30/04 05:43 PM
"Siberia? No, comrade... send him to Saskabush."

Bren R.
© Axiom Message Boards