Axiom Home Page
Posted By: JBG putting 2 pairs of M80's as main with a denon - 03/11/04 12:19 AM
my question is,

i have a 7.1 setup with a denon avr-4802 (2 pairs qs-8's, 1 sub, 1 pair M80's, vp150) i have an extra pair of M80's and would like to ad to the existing pair of M80's as mains...

could it done and what is the best way to hook em up, would it harm the reciever in any way

Even if your receiver could handle it, how would you set them up -- side by side? the second pair stacked upside-down on top of the first pair? The stacked method would be best for imaging. That would be a cool experiment.

On second thought, don't bother. You don't really need 2 pairs of M80s, so give the spares to me.
Stacked would be interesting though tippy, also would require an amp which can handle a 2 ohm load. Why don't you use the second pair as back surrounds?
Hell, if he can afford 4 M80s, he should buy a separate amp to drive 'em, right?
i have em currently installed in the rears for 7 channel stereo (as "B" speakers), but just bought a new house and will not be able to set them up in the rear, but is there an other way of setting them up in the front without purhasing an extra amp....
Sure, Johnny, you could either connect them in parallel to the 4802(the resulting 2 ohm load might well make the receiver shut down)or in series, which would result in an 8 ohm load. Sometimes even when speakers of the same model are connected in series slight differences between them cause small response fluctuations, but the effect generally isn't serious with the same speakers.
you could use a speaker selector switch with overload protection in it, but that would probably cut down your volume defeating the purpose of having two pairs.....so......you should just send them to me and i will deal with this big problem for you.....im willing to do that for you .......because i care.....ron
Wow, a problem I never even considered - too much speaker. Has that ever happened before? This may be harder to solve than the value of pi. I can't even wrap my head around that. I think Pete is right; alleviate the pressure and send him a set of those M80s.

The damn things are just too big to make a set of earrings. The concept here is just giving me a headache.
In reply to:

The damn things are just too big to make a set of earrings.

I'll say! Just look what happened to the poor person who attempted that last.

Wire speakers in series.For each channel,wire from positive out of amp to first speaker positive terminal, then single wire from first speaker negative terminal to second speaker positive terminal, then second speaker negative terminal back to amplifier negative output.

Load = Spk1 + Spk2.(4 ohms + 4 ohms = 8 ohms)
Like John said, wiring in series can sometimes do weird things do to impedance and frequency.

The m80 impedance curve from www.speakermeasurements.com looks fairly tame, though.

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that you won't know what will happen until you try it.
What's wrong with using the B channel? Doesn't the Denon have multiroom? Just put the things in the same room. Hooking up the speakers in series seems a bad idea to me.

Ken

-thinking outside the box since 2003.
Ken, that could work, except that JB is already using all 7 of his amp channels in a 7.1 setup. He could re-assign the back surround amps to multi-zone and use them to drive the second set of M80s in the same room, but then he'd lose the 7.1 back surrounds.
Oh. Right. I guess I should have reread the post.

In that case, I'd say an external amp (s) are the way to go. I just don't like the idea of putting them in series or parallel.

Or, Amie could pop in with info about the M90s!
We covered the wiring of speakers in parallet and series awhile back -->
Click Here

Wiring speakers in parallel will give you a 2 ohm load - might work if you had a Bryston Amp. Wiring in series will have an effect on your impedence and frequency. See Alan's notes on the second page of the post.

I like the stacking idea - reminds me of, I believe it was Infinity, reference Speaker - with 75 drivers or something insane like that. Maybe you could stack them with a swivel in the centre - you'd have a set of Extreme Bose cubes - with sound actually worth listening to...
© Axiom Message Boards