Axiom Home Page
Posted By: brent217 A few questions - 03/18/04 05:20 AM
Hi all, long time lurker, new poster. I am planning on buying a home theater system in April. I am willing to spend some coin, but I want a system that will last me a long time with no continuous costly upgrades.

I have tentatively decided on the Axiom M80 system with an SVS subwoofer and the Yamaha RXV2400 receiver, but I have a few questions.

First, I really like the look of the RBH T1 Signature speakers. Is there a real difference in the sound quality that their "futuristic" looking aluminum cones have compared to the Axiom cones? There is a HUGE price difference, the RBH are $6000 CDN each, erg. What makes them that much better?
I have seen a ton of lower priced speakers with the new cone style, far cheaper than the RBH ones (probably just cheap knock-offs) and I am wondering whether the new cones are better, and if so, why Axiom doesnt use them.

Second, for the SVS users on this board, I am trying to decide between the PC-Ultra and the tallest PC-plus. The ultra is far more expensive, and is doesn't seem to have the same range as its cheaper brother (PC-plus goes down to 16HZ, ultra is only 20). Has anyone ever heard the two subwoofers that can give me a comparison?

I still have not decided on a tv though. Hardest part. I am trying to decide whether to cheap out here and get a rptv that is 40" or so and get a huge DLP (or LCoS) in 05 or 06, or whether I should buy a top of the line rptv now and use that indefintely.

Thoughts, facts, and opinions appreciated.
Posted By: spiffnme Re: A few questions - 03/18/04 05:58 PM
I don't know about the speaker question, but I'm in a similar boat with the tv issue. I've decided to wait. I'm going to give Intel at least a year to see if their LCoS chips have the major impact on the market that they're expecting. If they do - great, but if not, I'm not going to wait forever. A year or so is as long as I think I can put it off before going crazy.

In either case, if you've got the room for a giant TV, get one. You'll kick yourself if you've got the room for it, and opt for a "small" 40" tv.

Good luck, and have fun shopping!

Posted By: jasonw1701 Re: A few questions - 03/19/04 04:19 AM
In reply to:

The ultra is far more expensive, and is doesn't seem to have the same range as its cheaper brother (PC-plus goes down to 16HZ, ultra is only 20)

The PC-Ultra is tunable down to 12 Hz via the port plugs and the adjustable subsonic filter in the amp.

I've got the PB2+ so I can't personally comment on the cylinder series. But I've read on hometheaterspot.com (in the SVS forum) that the PC-Ultra is very impressive.

Jason
Posted By: brent217 Re: A few questions - 03/19/04 05:55 AM
Thanks, I didn't see forums when I was on SVS's site. I am not too sure about port plugs though, why would I pay more for what seems to be a reduced sound level? I will have to see if I can find some comparison reviews of the two I guess.

Anyone have an answer about the solid speaker cones?
Posted By: jasonw1701 Re: A few questions - 03/19/04 08:43 AM
In reply to:

why would I pay more for what seems to be a reduced sound level?

I'm not sure what you mean. The PC-Ultra is more powerful than a PC-Plus in every regard. The Ultra's stock tune (no ports blocked) is 20 Hz. This will give you the most SPL output. You can plug one port for a 16 Hz tune, at the expense of a few dB of output. However even with one port plugged it will still have more clean output than a PC-Plus 16-45 at it's stock tune. The Ultra also has a built-in parametric EQ that will help tune the sub's output to match the room's characteristics.

If you have any questions about what's best for your room size and needs, then just e-mail them. They're very helpful.

Jason
© Axiom Message Boards