Axiom Home Page
Posted By: AndrewS Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 03/31/04 09:29 PM
How thick are the binding posts on the back of an M80? I'm going to get some spade lugs and I have a choice of .25", .330" and .390" which i'm assuming is the distance between the spade points...
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 03/31/04 09:56 PM
If I don't say it, someone else will...

Have you considered using bare wire? The electrical connection is just as sound (pun intended) whether you use speaker wire terminators or not.

If you're set on spades, the posts accept 3/8-inch spades, so given your options, get the .390" size.
Posted By: AndrewS Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 03/31/04 10:07 PM
I have "inherited" Monster speaker cables with a "Monster Lock" system so there is no bare wire - and I'm also trying to avoid losing anything by oxidation of the bare wire - if possible. I can get screw on spade lugs pretty cheaply....
Posted By: AndrewS Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 03/31/04 10:10 PM
I'm also considering removing the gold bridge plates in the back connecting the two sets of binding posts and replacing them with good 12Ga copper wire...
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 04/01/04 12:35 AM
Hell Andy, if you are using Monster stuff everywhere else, why not go for the Monster Spades. They are only $200 each and the break-in period is only 3 months.
Posted By: AndrewS Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 04/01/04 01:52 AM
Heh..I've already got these Monster speaker cables so I figured I'd make the best of em. I can screw on spades, bananas or a thingy with a piece of gold wire on the end. Spades seems like the most contact of the three and I can get a set for both wires for around $20.

I got some parts express 12ga 2 conductor speaker wire (100') for $20 or so for the surrounds.

I'm actually insane enough to have made my own speaker cables Jon Risch style - using Belden 89259 and crimping bananas for a good cold weld. I should A/B test them with plain 'ol 12Ga and the Monsters and see if I can tell a difference. Made my own interconnects out of the 89259 also but my soldering skills aren't so good so I don't trust them.....
Posted By: LT61 Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 04/01/04 06:00 PM
Hey,don't be afraid to use "good" speaker wire, and inter-
connects.....Monster, etc. If some want to use cheap,little
wires to connect their valuable equipment, that's ok too!

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 04/01/04 07:41 PM
That sound you hear is me heading for shelter to avoid the upcoming wire/cables free-for-all!

Posted By: LT61 Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 04/01/04 09:04 PM
Cool graphic!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 04/01/04 09:19 PM
Thanks, but that's an actual picture of my wife.
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 04/01/04 09:48 PM
Ray,

I take it that your wife does not read this forum...

WhatFurrer
Posted By: BrenR Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 04/01/04 11:37 PM
In reply to:

I take it that your wife does not read this forum...

Probably not, or she'd be adjusting the thickness of HIS binding post.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 04/02/04 01:34 AM
Thank God - she doesn't. Otherwise, I wouldn't be allowed to come out & play with the other kids here. She is actually one in a million. Absolutely the nicest person I've ever met and she has a good sense of humor. However, we ARE married Bren, so it's not very often my binding post gets adjusted.

As an aside, she spent some time with me last year poring over forums and postings to research the HT I ended up putting together. This board is a breath of fresh air and I'll have her come in and read the occasional post. Cracks her up. She knows I'm on the board right now and JUST yelled into the den "Did everybody come out to play tonight".
Posted By: BrenR Eat your heart out, guys... - 04/02/04 04:57 AM
It's funny, just today my fiancee asked "when are you going to order the surrounds? I want to show the stereo off to (unnamed) friend"

If there's one thing I can do, it's take "yes" for an answer... so I called Brent up and ordered my QS4s.

Bren R.
Posted By: Michael_A Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 04/02/04 06:35 AM
In reply to:

Thanks, but that's an actual picture of my wife.

Ray...

Sell her!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 04/02/04 02:02 PM
LOL!!!
Posted By: 01ACRViper Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 04/07/04 08:37 PM
are all the binding posts the same diameter? well, on the centers, surrounds, and bookshelves? i didn't want to make another topic when this one was so relevant
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Thickness of Binding Posts in M80 - 04/07/04 10:02 PM
I believe they are all the same dimensions.
© Axiom Message Boards