Axiom Home Page
Posted By: PhilK Phono Preamp - 06/01/04 02:34 PM
I recently got all nostalgic for my old LPs. So I pulled out my trusty old turntable, replaced the cartridge and then remembered that neither my two year old HK or three year old Yamaha receivers have a built-in phono preamp. My old Onkyo does, but I don't have room nor do I want to put two receivers on the rack. So I went out and spent a wopping $25.00 (or something like that) on a phono preamp - guaranteed to bring to life your old LPs. Well that was a load of BS. I had to turn the HK's volume all the way up to get mediocre sound from the turntable. I swapped in the Onkyo just to make sure I wasn't crazy, and sure enough there was the sound I craved. So what preamp should I buy and what should it cost to get good quality sound from my LPs/turnatable through the HK535 receiver. Thanks.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Phono Preamp - 06/01/04 03:00 PM
Hello Phil

You may want to look for a used Musical Fidelity XLP phono preamp. They're cheap and terrific.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Phono Preamp - 06/01/04 03:37 PM
exactly what you are talking about was a factor in helping me to decide which receiver to get. i got the onkyo 701 because it had the phono hook-ups. everyone told me that you could just get a preamp for the receivers that dont, but thats just more money, and as you have found out, more anguish.

good luck in solving your problem.

bigjohn
Posted By: Bself Re: Phono Preamp - 06/03/04 03:56 PM
Hi Phil,

There are a few options to explore. It depends on how far you want to go with vinyl. I rarely play CD's anymore is the vinyl sounds so superior. I eventually went with a tubed phono preamp kit. It made a substantial difference from the phono stages I had in my preamps and receivers.

More info is here:

I might also suggest stopping by www.audiokarma.org and posting a question in the turntables and tape forum. There are alot of folk who know vinyl very well.

Good Luck.
Posted By: Bself Re: Phono Preamp - 06/03/04 03:58 PM
Hi Phil,

There are a few options to explore. It depends on how far you want to go with vinyl. I rarely play CD's anymore is the vinyl sounds so superior. I eventually went with a tubed phono preamp kit. It made a substantial difference from the phono stages I had in my preamps and receivers.

More info is here: http://www.bottlehead.com/et/adobespc/Seduction/seduction.htm

I might also suggest stopping by www.audiokarma.org and posting a question in the turntables and tape forum. There are alot of folk who know vinyl very well.

Good Luck.
Posted By: BBIBH Re: Phono Preamp - 06/03/04 06:14 PM
One thought did you match the preamp to the cartridge?

What model of turntable, cart and phono "device" do you have?
Posted By: PhilK Re: Phono Preamp - 06/04/04 01:10 PM
My turntable is nothing special; an old Technics (straight tracking) with I believe a $50 Stanton cartridge. While I'm having fun listening to my old records, I'm not so into it that I would spend many hundreds of dollars. A couple of hundred give or take is my ceiling. So, I'll check into the Musical Fidelity phono preamp. I guess if I can't accomplish what I want within my price guidelines, then I'll just use my old Onkyo receiver exclusively for the turntable. I'll also check the audiokarma web site. Thanks.
Posted By: nowave Re: Phono Preamp - 06/04/04 01:59 PM
If you aren't looking to spend a whole lot, just get a decent phono preamp - this one is about the cheapest quality preamp I know of. Unless you go DIY, that is. It even does both MM and MC carts.

http://www.needledoctor.com/s.nl/c.ACCT106601/sc.2/category.401/it.A/id.928/.f
Posted By: PhilK Re: Phono Preamp - 06/04/04 06:25 PM
Okay, this looks like a winner. I'll do a bit more research and take it from there. Thanks much.

© Axiom Message Boards