Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Capn_Pickard Digital Coaxial vs. TosLink - 06/15/04 05:09 PM
Given a choice between digital coaxial and toslink, which should be chosen?

My understanding is that the two connectors essentially perform the same operation - to transmit the digital information from the component to the receiver/decoder.

If my set-up will require less than a 6 foot length of any one connector, are there advantages to choosing one over the other (quality, price)?

Thanks.
Adrien
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: Digital Coaxial vs. TosLink - 06/15/04 06:24 PM
Adrien
there is no functional difference between the two connectors. However, some people prefer coaxial because they are sturdier/hardier and less prone to damage (cracking). IOW, if you have reason to think you'll have numerous bends in the cable, or it's in a high traffic area, choose a coaxial. Otherwise, it doesn't matter so choose whichever is cheaper.

Posted By: alan Re: Digital Coaxial vs. TosLink - 06/16/04 01:26 PM
CapnPickard,

There is no difference in sound quality between the two--zero, zip. The only advantage of an optical digital (Toslink) connector is that it is totally immune to hum pickup from AC fields where a connector crosses an AC power supply cord.

From a practical point of view, I've never had trouble with hum pickup using a standard shielded coaxial cable, but that does not mean it could never happen. Coaxials are usually less expensive.

Regards,
Price wise - if you buy from partsexpress.com
and get 4 Dayton 6' optical cable - it'll cast you 7.50 a piece - and quality is really good.
Thanks - guys. I just got some Toslink cables, component cables and adaptors from there. Much appreciated.
© Axiom Message Boards