Axiom Home Page
Posted By: LT61 New speaker design? - 09/07/04 04:56 PM
I have been wondering if anyone out there knows the advantages to the "new" wok-shaped metal drivers several speaker companies are now offering,{Sapphire, others, and now it seems Axiom). I don't think it is for aesthetic purposes, so it must be for sonic benefits?, or do some speaker mfgs. just buy them from "vendors",(whatever they may offer to spec. of course), and bolt them into their company's cabinets?
I think I will miss the black cone centers, if this is the "wave of the future".........hey, that might be a pun.
I like the "look"of aluminium drivers,(or the white
birch of Yamaha's HX's for example) and the contrasting black cone center.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: New speaker design? - 09/07/04 05:46 PM
The main advantage I can think of is for Circuit City / Best Buy type stores. If they only carry speakers that have the 'wok-shaped' drivers (nice term, btw ), then there would be far less damage to their floor models since shoppers wouldn't have dust caps to poke in.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: New speaker design? - 09/07/04 06:03 PM
i HATE seeing speakers that have their dust caps popped it

some shoppers have no sense of decency
Posted By: LT61 Re: New speaker design? - 09/07/04 06:11 PM
Thank you.......I hope it sticks, ("wok-shaped").....another possible pun?
By the way, the people who punch in the speaker centers, are the same one's who ding your car with their door on the way into the store.
I do hope there is a more "technical" answer comming........
Alan maybe?
Posted By: Daphoid Re: New speaker design? - 09/07/04 07:42 PM
I like my non-wok shaped ones too

I'd like to leave them off (just cause I like marvelling at how many drivers are in the speakers) but until I get actual flooring to seal in the dust a wee bit more...they stay on, and still look sexy.

- D
Posted By: spiffnme Re: New speaker design? - 09/07/04 07:44 PM
So how much longer before that big space is filled with a giant TV?

Posted By: LT61 Re: New speaker design? - 09/13/04 02:30 PM
Hey, I thought by now someone would have an answer to my question about the "new" speaker types out there....(wok-shaped), instead of the more traditional, (with dust caps) types.
Is it because:

No One knows?
No one cares?
Few read "technical questions"?
Trade secret?

Or......perhaps I inadvertently offended the "secret order of the wok-shaped speaker advocates"?

Kidding, of course........it just seems like a relevant question for an audio forum.
Posted By: donaldekelly Re: New speaker design? - 09/13/04 04:03 PM
You have trespassed over the line to an area where you don't belong. If you go back to your rightful place and keep your mouth shut we may let you live!

I have no idea myself.
Posted By: FordPrefect Re: New speaker design? - 09/13/04 08:55 PM
I have a feeling it's nothing more than an attempt to stand out from the crowd, I'm not aware of any audio reason for that shape. Then again; if it woks for you.
Posted By: CosmicVoyager Re: New speaker design? - 09/13/04 09:00 PM
Has Axiom said or announced that they will be changing their speaker lineup? This question is for anyone. Alan?
Did I miss something? Or is everyone speculating?

Posted By: pmbuko Re: New speaker design? - 09/13/04 10:46 PM
It's pure speculation at this point.

And unless there is an acoustic benefit for going with a seamless driver design over a dust-capped design, I doubt they will change their current designs.
© Axiom Message Boards