Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Ken.C Delay - 09/14/04 09:23 PM
I have a question triggered by a previous post... how does one set the delay on speakers (specifically using an H/K)? I'm not sure where the data points for the distance start... is it speaker to ear, speaker to fronts, speakers to center?
Posted By: TonyM Re: Delay - 09/14/04 09:37 PM
Hello Kcarlile,

Hope you are well. Delay adjust is set from each speaker to the listening position. These settings are used for Dolby Digital and DTS modes. AVR 630 manual states to make sure you are in a Dolby Digital or DTS mode before specifying the delay adjust for each speaker.

Later,

TonyM
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Delay - 09/15/04 05:08 AM
I'm still a bit confused. Why isn't there a delay setting for the fronts, then? Also, does this take vertical distance into account? My QS4s are mounted almost up to the ceiling.
Posted By: TonyM Re: Delay - 09/15/04 05:25 AM
Hello Kcarlile,

Hope you are well. The delay does not take into account the height of the speakers, on the AVR 630 I have a menu that allows me to set the distance to all the speakers from the listening position. Not sure why you are only seeing the surrounds.

Later,

TonyM
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Delay - 09/15/04 06:45 AM
Ken, I just browsed the manual for your receiver and couldn't find a way to set distances to the fronts. Maybe it assumes they are the same distance as the center? Weird.

Oh, and the distances to the surrounds should be measured direct from your ears to the speaker, so it does take vertical distance into account.
Posted By: chesseroo Re: Delay - 09/15/04 02:44 PM
Ken, are you sure you're reading the right manual? [/snicker]

You know i hear once the receiver breaks in that the distance settings for the front speakers finally comes into view.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Delay - 09/15/04 09:28 PM
thbbt. I ask a serious question...

Try again, Chess... still no delay to the fronts, and I've had it for months!

Seriously, anyone have an answer on this? It's obviously not that important in my case, but still...
Posted By: bray Re: Delay - 09/15/04 11:15 PM
Ken
I took a long tape measure taped the loose end to the top of the speaker and ran the tape measure straight to my nose (no kidding) and set that distance in the HK.
Hope that helps.

Posted By: bray Re: Delay - 09/15/04 11:16 PM
My HK has delay settings for the front. Yours should too.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Delay - 09/15/04 11:19 PM
Nevertheless.... Do you have a 525? Where do you find the delay settings for the fronts?
Posted By: bray Re: Delay - 09/15/04 11:42 PM
No I have the 130. On my remote there is a button that says "delay" when I'm in DTS or Dolby I simply push that button and "front delay" appears on the diplay . I then hit set and options of distance are offered to me.( I can select from 01 to 30 feet) Once I have that distance put in I hit set again and toggle the left, right, up, down button to the right and it then gives me the option to set the center distance. I go through this until all delay settings are set for the distance from speaker to my nose when I'm in the center listening position.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Delay - 09/16/04 01:32 AM
Ken, I finally took a look at the manuals. The delay instructions for the 525 are among the worst that I've ever read(that's saying a lot as manuals go), switching back and forth from speaker to listener distance and then speaker to TV screen distance. Then, as you say, it doesn't mention distance to the main front speakers at all. Nevertheless, the only thing that seems to make sense is that the distance to be measured has to be from each speaker to the listener's ears(including the height factor). Although it seems odd, as Peter said maybe the 525 computes the unspecified front speaker distance as being equal to the center(which it's supposed to be). I also looked at the 630 manual, and as a couple _30 owners here have indicated, it's been changed and has clearer delay instructions, including the main front speakers. Strange.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Delay - 09/16/04 02:17 AM
That's sort of what I figured. Stupid manual writers. I had a look at it earlier (for a second time...)

I suppose theoretically my fronts are in the same plane as my "center," since I'm running a pre-out to the TV and using that as the center channel, and that's roughtly in the same position as the M50s.
Posted By: curtis Re: Delay - 09/16/04 05:52 AM
Don't blame the tech writers, blame the people that explained it to them.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Delay - 09/16/04 09:36 PM
Ken, having the center in the same plane as the M50s means it's closer to you than the 50s.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Delay - 09/16/04 09:37 PM
yeah yeah yeah. Whatever. I doubt it matters that much. It's not like it's a precision setup in any case.
© Axiom Message Boards