Axiom Home Page
Posted By: leaf Reciever quandry - 09/30/04 03:56 AM
I'm going to go with the epic grand master speakers less the sub..buying piece meal starting with the m22ti's. I thought I was settled on the denon 2805 but I've spent the day going from store to store looking for the best deal.

yamaha rx-v3300 for 630 no box demo
Marantz 7300 for 659 demo w/ box
Denon 2805 for 699 new
yammy v2400 for 795 new

90% movies 10% music>>70's 80's rock

All from authorized dealers so no warranty issues.

I'm torn mainly due to money issues ie the less I spend on a receiver the faster I can afford the speakers.

Help!!!

Posted By: player8 Re: Reciever quandry - 09/30/04 04:11 AM
Personally, I'd go with the Denon, but that may be because I own one. I'm sure the other recievers are fine pieces of equipment, but my vote goes to the Denon. Great build quality, plenty of power, and looks pretty good in my opinion too.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Reciever quandry - 09/30/04 05:49 AM
I second the Denon vote........... I also own one and love it!
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Reciever quandry - 09/30/04 01:31 PM
I third the Denon vote, I went back and forth for months from Yamaha to Elites to Denon, I was driving myself crazy reading all of the biased opinions on AVSforum. Anyway, I called Axiom and talked to Joe, Brent, and one other person (can't remember) over a period of a month while trying to determine which speakers to go with, they all gave high praise to the Denon/Axiom combination. Anyway, I've had my 2805 and Axiom's for a few weeks now, and believe me, for someone that has a musical background, I am so impressed each time I listen to music/movies that I can't get this smile off of my face. In addition, my father used to be a professional singer. He was on the Ed Sullivan show back in 59 along with his buddy Steve Lawrence. He was over the other day listening to various CD's in his collection, and he was amazed at the detail/clarity of this combination, you could close your eyes and feel like the artist was right there in the room with you.

Randy

Posted By: leaf Re: Reciever quandry - 09/30/04 03:04 PM
Since all you guys own denons. I haven't been able to truly play around with one, does it have trouble picking up digital audio when you change channels on dig cable? Got to play with an hk 630 and took it off my list due to the 2 to 3 second delays.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Reciever quandry - 09/30/04 03:11 PM
In reply to:

does it have trouble picking up digital audio when you change channels on dig cable?

My 3805 has zero trouble with it. There is zero delay.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Reciever quandry - 09/30/04 03:15 PM
I have heard about some HK's having that delay issue, I don't think the other brands have that problem. My 2805 automatically senses the incoming signal and changes appropriately, of cours you can override this if you decide to use some of the other DSP modes or pro logic IIx ability.

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Reciever quandry - 09/30/04 03:55 PM
Let me fourth? the Denon. Excellent equipment and it does what it's supposed to do without quirks.
Posted By: ajb2001ca Re: Reciever quandry - 09/30/04 06:08 PM
I have a Yam RXV-2200 (previous iteration of the 2400) and really like it - it also auto senses incoming signals. I would recommend the Yamaha (even though I haven't heard it with Axioms yet, still mulling over the speaker upgrade), however, it's the more expensive on the list and personally I wouldn't buy a demo receiver. So, that kinda narrows it down to the Denon.

Joe

Posted By: SirQuack Re: Reciever quandry - 09/30/04 06:29 PM
$699 for a new 2805 is not a bad deal by any stretch of the imagination. It normally sells for $895 in retail stores and in the 600-695 range on the refurbished authorized online etailers. I paid $720 recently from an authorized local retailer and I thought that was good...Go for it big guy.
Posted By: Spooky36 Re: Reciever quandry - 09/30/04 07:13 PM
Just ordered a new Denon 2805 from pricesrite.com for $619. Getting here on Wednesday so I'll try and remember to post the results. Good luck with your decision!

-Sam
Posted By: dmn23 Re: Reciever quandry - 09/30/04 09:26 PM
Please do. I'm curious to hear about your experience with this retailer.
Posted By: littleb Re: Reciever quandry - 10/01/04 05:33 PM
I was doing some reading over at HTF and learned something I never knew. Denon amps are not only not any good for music, but they are dry, as well. I guess they are manufactured in an arid climate.LOL Where do people get these ideas?????
Posted By: BrenR Re: Reciever quandry - 10/01/04 09:11 PM
It's the silica gels packs that come packed as desiccants with them. If you don't water your receiver (Monster brand ionized water only!!) that tends to happen.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Reciever quandry - 10/01/04 10:22 PM
Asusual, Bren is on th emoney. The only thing I would add is to be sure to break in the water completely before watering the receiver. I would also add some 12 guage flouride.
Posted By: littleb Re: Reciever quandry - 10/02/04 03:41 PM
Hee-he-hee, ha, ha, ha, ha! I did it, I did it, I did it. I was over at ecost this morning doing my usual "searching for the deal of the century" and lo, and behold, I ordered the Denon avr 3803, new in the box for a sensational price. I am as giddy as a kid in a candy shop. I could just @!#$, I am about to spin into the outer reaches of the universe. I bet that sucker is going to be good and dry. The rep said they will be in stock according to Denon on Sunday. I thought that was a bit odd. I think I'll go kiss my wife.
Posted By: Wid Re: Reciever quandry - 10/02/04 03:49 PM
Congrats on your find.I'm sure it will be a good day when it arrives.I think I will go kiss the wife too just to help you celebrate.
Posted By: littleb Re: Reciever quandry - 10/02/04 04:08 PM
Thanks wid,
I think all Axiom wives should be kissed often. Have a happy celebration.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Reciever quandry - 10/02/04 04:32 PM
Littleb,

Ray3 has a 3803 and loves it. I'm sure he'd be glad to answer any questions that might come up. Hopefully, none will. Enjoy! And knock off all that smooching!
Posted By: littleb Re: Reciever quandry - 10/02/04 04:46 PM
I'll try to restrain myself!
Posted By: leaf Re: Reciever quandry - 10/02/04 05:05 PM
Grats on the order. I called about the 3805 they have but it won't be available for shipping till Oct 31st...Still waiting to hear back from my local guy about a better price on the 2805 or the 3805. Now i gotta ask about a moisterizer??

The quandry continues..hehe
Posted By: leaf Re: Reciever quandry - 10/02/04 07:46 PM
Sweet,

2805 being delivered Monday.

Cheers!!
Posted By: bray Re: Reciever quandry - 10/02/04 08:26 PM
If you guys find a really good deal on a 3805 that can ship in the next 2 weeks, PLEASSSEEE!! let me know. I'm jonesin to get my hands on one.
I was looking for something a little easier on the pocket book, but remembered that the 3rd is my 40th b-day so I thought I'd treat myself to something other than a red sports car.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Reciever quandry - 10/03/04 12:34 AM
Bruce - I'm really happy for you. A 3803 for the price I suspect you paid is grand theft audio!!! I hope you get the same pleasure from yours as I am experiencing from mine. By the way, do all 3803 owners get to kiss your wife? .

There is an interesting quirk about this beast that I want to pass on. Hook it to your TV with an S-video cable. This is required for you to be able to see/use the On Screen Display and get through the setup menu for all of you settings.

Also, if by chance you have a Home Theater MX-700 remote, there is a file at Remote Central created by a gentleman named David Gray. It has EVERY remote command available for Denon receivers. I have set up 3 devices on the MX-700 - RECVR (for HT), TUNER (AM/FM radio specific) and SPKR (every one of my speakers now have individual up and down controls, including the sub!). I even added SUB+ and SUB- to all of my component devices on the remote. Serious simplicity when calibrating. As a matter of fact, with what you saved on the 3803, the MX-700 would be worthwhile to consider even if only for the flexibility it provides for the 3803. New is $350, but open box from an authorized dealer is around $190. PM me if you want more info.

Enjoy the 3803!!!!

Posted By: littleb Re: Reciever quandry - 10/03/04 12:58 PM
I'm sorry, Ray, but I don't think she is as liberal as that. As far as I know, she only kisses one future 3803 owner. Please forgive me if I got you worked up for nothing.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Reciever quandry - 10/04/04 01:40 PM
In reply to:

so I thought I'd treat myself to something other than a red sports car

if it was my choice between a new receiver and a new red sports car, it would not be a hard decision!!

go ahead and get the car, then put a bad-a$$ system in it.. that way, you get the best of both worlds.

bigjohn
Posted By: littleb Re: Reciever quandry - 10/04/04 01:44 PM
I checked on my order this morning. The web site says my future receiver is in stock. However, when I check my order status, it says it is back ordered. Should I start to worry about this, or is it common practice? On the phone the rep said the 3803 weighs 61 pounds, so I have to pay a pretty hefty chunk for shipping. I have the feeling they must be taping lead inguts to the box. I don't think the 3803 weighs 60 pounds.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: Reciever quandry - 10/04/04 02:09 PM
The Denon 3803 weighs 36.4 pounds out of the box.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Reciever quandry - 10/04/04 03:47 PM
A discontinued item listed as back ordered would concern me. Try to get ahold of someone at the company.
Posted By: littleb Re: Reciever quandry - 10/05/04 03:19 PM
I called the online store in question this morning. The rep says it is shipping out today. I'll believe it when I see the tracking numbers. Asked the rep about the weight descrepancy, said I would be credited the shipping difference when it ships out and then she abruptly hung up. My 21 year old son said he wants one also. I can tell he's hoping I give it to him as a XMAS present. H-m-m-m. What's a Dad to do? Do I make him really happy on XMAS or do I make him insanely jealous in October??
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Reciever quandry - 10/05/04 04:02 PM
littleb-you're my father. Please buy me a receiver for Xmas.
Posted By: littleb Re: Reciever quandry - 10/05/04 04:23 PM
I thought you had one.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Reciever quandry - 10/05/04 07:14 PM
Um... I need a new universal player. 5 or more disc, please!
Posted By: littleb Re: Reciever quandry - 10/06/04 01:49 PM
Me, too! I've gotten 2 conflicting stories yesterday concerning my future receiver. Over the phone it was shipped yesterday, in an email reply it might have an eta in 2 weeks depending on the warehouse. Oh Brother!!!! I'm starting to get the ecost blues. Why do I see a cancelled order in my future? Oh well, back to shopping.
Posted By: littleb Re: Reciever quandry - 10/08/04 03:24 PM
Now, I'm MAD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I just wanted a receiver with DPL2, and I didn't want to have to worry that my receiver couldn't push 4 ohm speakers--just in case I would consider purchasing the M80s in the future. I find a great deal on Ray's receiver over at Ecost. I even call them up to make sure they are available. And what do I end up with, I'll tell you what I end up with. Processing and Back order. I even call them up and ask them for an update. And I get we can't tell you anything. I COULD JUST SCREAM. I don't think I'll ever order from an authorized dealer again. Meanwhile, I visit the one authorized dealer for Denon products in my area, and they don't even stock any Denon. Sure, they have HK and Integra, but guess what. They arent't authorized to even sell them. It's my experience that the phrase authorized dealer is pig latin for WE DON'T STOCK ANYTHING! If it wasn't for Axiom I wouldn't have warranteed speakers. Maybe Ian and Alan should make a deal with some of these manufacturers, so we could order an HK or Denon directly from Axiom. That way we would be insured of good customer service. And we wouldn't get processing, back order and we don't know anything. I AM TOTALLY P-0ED.
Posted By: Spooky36 Re: Reciever quandry - 10/08/04 03:38 PM
I ended up ordering a 2805 from www.pricesrite.com for 619 (719 total w/3yr warranty($69) and shipping) and received my receiver in exactly one week. I couldn't be happier. The customer service seemed normal, got a tracking number in my email and everything arrived and looked as it should.

Hooked up the receiver to my Axiom setup, used the auto setup w/mic feature. Now I am completely blown away. The 2805 is pretty much perfect for what I wanted to acheive. Thanks to all for their suggestions. I am truly one satisfied customer. (Axiom, Denon and pricesrite.com)
Posted By: jorge016 Re: Reciever quandry - 10/08/04 03:48 PM
Ecost sucks-when I called them and told them that my HK receiver was useless the rep told me "Looks like you got yourself an expensive paperweight". That's when I called my bank and had my credit card company investigate. If it will help you try calling PCMall. They are ECost's parent company and helped my with my troubles even knowing that I'd bought from eCost.
Posted By: littleb Re: Reciever quandry - 10/08/04 04:30 PM
I called PC Mall. I didn't have to tell them why I was calling. They knew exactly why I was calling. According to them it is the manufacturers fault. They were promised product from Denon on October 3rd and haven't received the items. So, it's Denon I have a beef with. Maybe Pioneer isn't such a bad alternative.
Posted By: lomb7 Re: Reciever quandry - 10/10/04 01:59 AM
For the future you may want to check out www.dakmart.com. I picked up my refurb 3803 for $648.00. They are an Auth. Denon seller so I am not too worried. Got the unit in 7 days (shipping time). Great to do business with!
© Axiom Message Boards