Axiom Home Page
Posted By: demasoni white or pink noise for calibration? - 11/04/04 01:45 AM
which one do you guys use to calibrate your speakers? the white noise or pink?
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: white or pink noise for calibration? - 11/04/04 01:51 AM
White as pink is used more often for setting up an actual EQ.

http://ccms.ntu.edu.tw/~karchung/Phonetics%20II%20page%20sixteen.htm
Posted By: pmbuko Re: white or pink noise for calibration? - 11/04/04 06:51 AM
pink noise is better. It's a broad-spectrum sound that includes all the audible frequencies.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: white or pink noise for calibration? - 11/04/04 03:26 PM
I don't think I would go as far as to say Pink is better given a lot of very well respected test discs are using white.

C&P

White Noise
For processes of testing and equalizing rooms and auditoriums, it is convenient to have broad-band noise signals. Typically, white noise or pink noise is used. White noise is noise whose amplitude is constant throughout the audible frequency range. It is fairly easy to produce white noise - it is often produced by a random noise generator in which all frequencies are equally probable. The sound of white noise is similar to the sound of steam escaping from an overheated radiator. The ear is aware of a lot of high frequency sound in white noise since the ear is more sensitive to high frequencies. Since each successive octave of frequency will have twice as many Hz in its range, the power in white noise will increase by a factor of two for each octave band. Twice the power corresponds to a 3 decibel increase, so white noise is said to increase 3 dB per octave in power.

Pink Noise
For processes of testing and equalizing rooms and auditoriums, it is convenient to have broad-band noise signals. Typically, white noise or pink noise is used. Whereas white noise is defined as sound with equal power per Hz in frequency, pink noise is filtered to give equal power per octave or equal power per 1/3 octave. Since the number of Hz in each successive octave increases by two, this means the power of pink noise per Hz of bandwidth decreases by a factor of two or 3 dB per octave.

Since pink noise has relatively more bass than white noise, it sounds more like the roar of a waterfall than like the higher hissing sound of white noise.

Pink noise is often the choice for equalizing auditoriums. Real-time analyzers can be set up so that they display a straight horizontal line when they receive pink noise.

Posted By: JaimeG Re: white or pink noise for calibration? - 11/04/04 03:51 PM
I use Pink Floyd to calibrate my system ;->
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: white or pink noise for calibration? - 11/04/04 04:16 PM
Not me, I use Anthrax's Sound of White Noise CD! :-)
Posted By: bigjohn Re: white or pink noise for calibration? - 11/04/04 04:18 PM
In reply to:

Anthrax's Sound of White Noise

nope.. use 'attack of the killer bees'.. ode to milk is the best track.

get your oreos ready!!!

bigjohn
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: white or pink noise for calibration? - 11/04/04 04:24 PM
In reply to:

ode to milk is the best track

I love the tune Black Lodge from White Noise. I don't think I go a week without cranking it. The remastered version is excellent and sounds dam good for a metal CD.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: white or pink noise for calibration? - 11/04/04 04:28 PM
i have not listened to my white noise cd in years. i bought it original when it came out back in 93-94.. something like that.. ?

a new 'rock' cd that is just awesome when cranked is the band 'queens of the stone age'.. the album 'songs for the deaf' is one of the more unique albums i have heard from a rock band in several years. just my opinion.

SORRY.. back to calibration...

bigjohn

Posted By: NeverHappy Re: white or pink noise for calibration? - 11/04/04 04:44 PM
I'm not sure when that disc came out. I think the remastered version came out in 2001 or 2002 so your probably right on the money with your timeframe. Speaking of old stuff that is new again, did anyone notice that almost every Judas Priest CD is coming out again and has been remastered? I don't have one yet but I may have to grab a couple.
Posted By: demasoni Re: white or pink noise for calibration? - 11/04/04 06:49 PM
every single music CD I have do not have the same output level, so I don't think I should use them as reference. White noise have a flat FR across the entire range so I'll be using it. :-)
speaking of remastered/re-released cds, has anyone bought the new 2-disc London Calling set yet? I'm wondering whether the sound quality is a drastic improvement (though i'll probably buy anyways, since it has 4 previously unreleased songs)
Posted By: alan Re: white or pink noise for calibration? - 11/07/04 09:22 PM
demasoni,

Use pink noise always for calibration. Equal energy per octave. Using white noise will produce an exaggerated and gradually climbing high-frequency output. If you used that for equalization or calibration, and then played music, the highs would be dull and rolled off.

Regards,
© Axiom Message Boards