Axiom Home Page
Posted By: emdub Tweeter from Thiel CS1.6 looks like Axiom's - 12/22/04 02:04 AM
Check out the aluminum dome tweeter from the Thiel CS1.6 (MSRP $2190 /pair), it looks just like the one in my Axioms.

http://www.thielaudio.com/THIEL_Web/Pages/cs1_6nws.html

Is this just a common design for an aluminum dome or do you think...
Your link is messed up...try this one.

Thiel Tweeter

to funny, isn't that the brand that sweetnlo or slownlo or whatever his name is on that other thread said blows away Axiom's since we are all discerning listeners, and can't tell the difference....funny it does look identical to the Axiom titanium tweeter.
Posted By: md55 Re: Tweeter from Theil CS1.6 looks like Axiom's - 12/22/04 02:45 AM
It is interesting how similar they look. The Theil uses an 1" aluminum dome tweeter compared to Axiom's 1" titanium dome. The woofer is an 6 1/2" aluminum cone making the basic configuration similar to the M40.

Theil is a high end U.S. speaker manufacturer. Jim Theil is the owner/chief designer similar to how Ian is the proprieter of Axiom. Theil is known for designing and manufacturing their own components including the drivers in house. Reading their literature on this speaker which is a lower end model, I get the feeling this tweeter was not produced in house as are their higher end drivers. It would be interesting to know the source of both the Theil and Axiom drivers.

Theil makes great speakers that sell for a lot more than axiom's. Theil's higher end products feature unusual construction like heavily sculpted solid aluminum or high density composite front baffles. A common feature of Theils is the cabinet/front baffle that slopes back towards the top as a way of acheiving time alignment between the drivers so that the distance from the listener is farther from the higher range drivers.
I can vouch for the fact that the 1.6's sound very, very nice indeed. While shopping for speakers before purchasing my M60's my two favorites were the B&W 703's and the Thiel 1.6's. Of course, then I found out how much they cost. Wow...

They do sound very nice though.

In reply to:

While shopping for speakers before purchasing my M60's my two favorites were the B&W 703's and the Thiel 1.6's.

spiff.....the 700 series B&W's have only been out since the end of last year. The 700 series replaced the CDM line that we heard a year ago....we heard the CDM 7NT. Maybe that is the model you are thinking of?
OK...the Thiels I heard before getting the M60's, the 703's I heard after getting them, and still "shopping" for speakers.

Can't put one past you, can I?

Its just that you shop so much that I can't keep up!
Posted By: mace Re: Tweeter from Theil CS1.6 looks like Axiom's - 12/22/04 04:57 PM
check this out.
That tweeter has a max power handling of 75 watts. It may look the same, but obviously isn't.

Posted By: mace Re: Tweeter from Theil CS1.6 looks like Axiom's - 12/22/04 05:46 PM
Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that the tweet was the same, just that there are alot of drivers out there that look quite similar.
Eventhough the tweeter alone is rated at 75watts max, that does not necessarily mean a speaker built around it will have the same rating. Remember, it is only part of the speaker. 75watts is actually pretty good for a tweeter.
Once again I've proven myself an idiot.

LOL!! Yeah right.

Just take it out on me the next time we play tennis.
Posted By: mace Re: Tweeter from Theil CS1.6 looks like Axiom's - 12/22/04 09:02 PM
Right you are Curtis, that tweet, combined with the right cx and driver could be used in a system up to 150W or higher.
I little birdy with 30 years of professional audio experience told me that the woofers on the M60 appeared to be made by Thompson.

The Axiom tweeter can look like a $14.40 Dayton tweeter or a $32.45 Vifa Tweeter. The Dayton you see on home made $140 speakers and the later you see in high end speaker costing $4000+. But neither are Axiom tweeters.

http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage.cfm?webpage_id=3&SO=2&&DID=7&CATID=49&ObjectGroup_ID=574

A parrot once told me I was fat. So I punched it.
Was it right?
These days... um, nevermind.
© Axiom Message Boards