Axiom Home Page
Posted By: tonykdds Subwoofer Hum, Dish Satellite Receiver - 12/23/04 01:03 AM
I have a hum coming out of Sunfire Signature Sub. I've isolated the source to be the Dish Network Satellite--I disconnect the coax cable going to the dish receiver and the hum stops. I've tried using matching 75-300 ohm transformers, but the digital signal does not go through to the dish receiver. I have an older Panamax 1000 from which all the equipment is plugged into. I tried using the coax terminals on the Panamax, but the signal still does not go through to the receiver. The dish satellite is grounded to a cold water pipe outside. So I'm not sure what my options are?!?! I greatly appreciate any advice. Equipment: Sunfire Theater Grand 3, Sunfire Signature Amp.
Posted By: Ajax Re: Subwoofer Hum, Dish Satellite Receiver - 12/23/04 01:20 AM
This has been succesful in the past for situations like yours.
I'm not so sure that the problem isn't the way the dish is grounded to that pipe VS. how the rest of your system is grounded.

Can you lift the ground to see if the hum stops... or ground everything else to that pipe?
Posted By: tonykdds Re: Subwoofer Hum, Dish Satellite Receiver - 12/23/04 03:15 AM
Thanks for the input. I also have a digital cable modem from which I receive a signal through the coax lines in the house from Cox Communications. Do you think the ground loop problem could be from that particular cable connection?
Posted By: Wid Re: Subwoofer Hum, Dish Satellite Receiver - 12/23/04 03:56 AM
Mark is on the right track.The ground loop is caused by two seperate grounding points,one for the cable and or satellite and one for your electric.They should both be ground to a common ground stake.If you use a cheater plug and the hum stops you then know it if from the way your cable is grounded.Do not use the tab on the adapter,what you want to do is float the ground.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Subwoofer Hum, Dish Satellite Receiver - 12/23/04 04:09 AM
>>If you use a cheater pug and the hum stops

I am familiar with pugs...

... but what is a "cheater pug" ?
Posted By: Wid Re: Subwoofer Hum, Dish Satellite Receiver - 12/23/04 04:12 AM

Woops,I was able to correct it.By the way we do have a pug
Posted By: alan Re: Subwoofer Hum, Dish Satellite Receiver - 12/23/04 06:43 PM
Rick,

Hilarious! Are pugs as difficult to train as dachsunds? The latter are quite wilfull.

Regards,
Posted By: Wid Re: Subwoofer Hum, Dish Satellite Receiver - 12/23/04 07:05 PM
Alan,

They are a handfull I must say.The one we have is a 9 month old boy,he humps ever darn thing he gets around.

People,blankets,stuffed animals it doesn't matter.Hopefuly he will out grow this.........I don't know.

Posted By: spiffnme Re: Subwoofer Hum, Dish Satellite Receiver - 12/23/04 07:23 PM
In reply to:

Hopefuly he will out grow this.........

I never did.

Posted By: Wid Re: Subwoofer Hum, Dish Satellite Receiver - 12/23/04 07:27 PM

Spiff,he would have a good time with Mr. Bear.
Hey, a new series of photos!
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Subwoofer Hum, Dish Satellite Receiver - 12/23/04 07:51 PM
Rick, we have the same problem with Jack. HE humps everything he gets around, too. Generally, a smart rap across the snout settles him down
Posted By: Ajax Re: Subwoofer Hum, Dish Satellite Receiver - 12/23/04 08:29 PM

I have several obscene smilies that would have been perfect for this topic, but discretion won out over humor. It IS a public forum, after all.

Spiff, I spit out my lunch reading your post. If I had a drum, I'd a given you a rim shot. The timing was perfecto!
© Axiom Message Boards