Axiom Home Page
Posted By: edvacdude Which HT calibration DVD to buy? - 12/27/04 06:52 PM
Over the last two weeks, I've been in audio heaven with my Axiom speakers. The M80 fronts, VP150 and QS8 X 4 surrounds produced incredibly sweet music, and dynamic movie effects, that I'm now confident I made the right decision, going the Axiom route.

I was reading in the Home Theater forum that HT is about 'accuracy and calibration' To get the most from my HT system, I thought it was time to go beyond the intial calibration I attempted on my Denon 3805 receiver (using the optional Denon microphone).

I believe there are two DVDs that may help with this? One seems to be Digital Video Essentials. Another is Avia's Guide to Home Theater. Do I need both, or is one a better choice than the other?

What I'm looking for: introduction to the key concepts, calibration techniques for most of the new audio formats (DD 5.1, DTS, DD Surround EX, DTS ES, DD PLIIx, DTS Neo, etc), Video calibration, especially for the nicer new DLP TVs that are available (e.g. Samsung HL-P5063W).

Any input will be gratefully accepted Thanks very much.

Ananth
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Which HT calibration DVD to buy? - 12/27/04 08:03 PM
Ananth
Don't make this any more complicated than it needs to be - either disk works just dandy, so pick one & go for it. You will also need to pick up an SPL meter from Radio Shack.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Which HT calibration DVD to buy? - 12/27/04 08:38 PM
... and before you have to drive back from the store and ask "should I get analog or digital ?" most people recommend the analog.
Posted By: edvacdude Re: Which HT calibration DVD to buy? - 12/27/04 08:49 PM
oops! I bought the digital version a month back ... should I return it for the analog meter? Why is the analog sound meter recommended? Would appreciate the clarification.

Thanks!
Ananth
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Which HT calibration DVD to buy? - 12/27/04 09:10 PM
See, right after I told you to not make this complicated .

You will be fine with the digital version. The reason that people lean towards the analog is because the needle doesn't react as fast (read - "less jumpy") as the digital version. Many people extole the virtues of the digital rather than the analog - not a life threatening issue.

Try the digital. If you get motion sick watching the needle, take it back & get the analog. As I said earlier, either will be fine.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Which HT calibration DVD to buy? - 12/27/04 09:23 PM
Exactly. Analog is a bit easier to read, digital probably has other benefits. It's just that everyone drives to RS to pick up the meter then comes back empty handed and asks "so which one should I get ?", wanted to save you the drive.
Posted By: player8 Re: Which HT calibration DVD to buy? - 12/27/04 11:44 PM
I don't mean to thread hi-jack but how does the Sound & Vision calibration disc compare?
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Which HT calibration DVD to buy? - 12/28/04 01:49 AM
I am also planning on purchasing one of these DVD setup disks soon. It is my understanding that the DVE is the newest out there, published in 2003. It is also my understanding that it is the only one that covers Dolby EX and DTS ES 6.1 formats. In addition, it is my understanding that it is the only disk out there that covers High definition tests (720p, 1080i) and is geared to todays LCD, DLP, HD, and Plasma technology. However, I have read many reviews on various websites that say it is somewhat hard to navigate through and many of the sections don't have good explanations for the tests. So this disk may not be for the beginner.

So based on what your looking for, it sounds like the DVE would be the better choice, as it covers newer technologies...

Posted By: edvacdude Re: Which HT calibration DVD to buy? - 12/28/04 03:45 AM
Cool, thanks Sirquack; I'll order DVE.

Appreciate the helpful tips Ray, bridgman.

Ananth
Posted By: MiniRock Re: Which HT calibration DVD to buy? - 12/28/04 07:55 AM
Keep in mind that when calibrating with the DVE DVD the LFE will be -2/-5 db too low, this was a QC issue on JKP's part, so don't be affraid to bump the LFE up a couple db's after calibrating. The Sound and Vision Hometheater Tune-up DVD is also good for calibrating your 5.1/6.1 DTS/DD set-up, but don't expect too much from the Video portion; for audio, either will work fine. If this is your first time calibrating though I would HIGHLY suggest getting the analog meter from RS.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Which HT calibration DVD to buy? - 12/28/04 03:20 PM
not trying to hijack the thread, but I'm curious how many people out there with the Auto Setup Receivers (Denon, Yammy, Elites, etc) have found that the receiver does a good job without having to use the meter/disk methods? I've got the Denon 2805 and so far I'm totally pleased with the Auto Setup and Room EQ (parametric) of my Denon.

© Axiom Message Boards