Axiom Home Page
Posted By: rdwarn Digital co-axle cable question - 12/27/04 08:09 PM
I'm hooking up an Onkyo Home Theatre in a box for my parents. My Dad's existing DVD player only has a digital co-axle out (no optical). I ended up buying a 6' GE digital co-axle cable ($10) but was wondering if a digital co-axle cable was just a normal co-axle cable with RCA plugs on the end?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Digital co-axle cable question - 12/27/04 08:37 PM
It's just a normal coax cable. The only point is that many of the RCA to RCA cables which you would EXPECT to be coax are actually not...

Just for fun I tried hooking up a couple of different "normal" RCA-to-RCA cables from DVD to receiver and none of them worked.
Posted By: Wid Re: Digital co-axle cable question - 12/27/04 10:37 PM

I have never bought a "coax cable" i have always used a regular interconnect for the coax.I have never had a problem with them not working.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Digital co-axle cable question - 12/27/04 10:56 PM
You probably pay more than $1.50 for your regular interconnects
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Digital co-axle cable question - 12/28/04 05:08 PM
I've seen a test (not sure where) where a guy used a coat hanger with RCAs on the end as a digital cable. It had one error. The actual cable had 2. Therefore, statistically insignificant.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Digital co-axle cable question - 12/28/04 06:00 PM
Wow... no ground at all ?
Posted By: TurboDog1 Re: Digital co-axle cable question - 12/28/04 06:25 PM
SHHHHH!!!!....You're going to spoil it for all the Monster Cable guys.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Digital co-axle cable question - 12/28/04 08:36 PM
Damn it Ken!!! Now we're going to start to see Monster Coat Hangars for $150 each and have to start to go through endless threads about "proper hangar break-in time".

Thanks Ken, Thanks ALOT.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: Digital co-axle cable question - 12/28/04 08:37 PM
Not as far as I could tell. Here's the article. This is why I will not spend gallons of dough on cables. Except for looks, and if I happen to get a really large Axiom gift certificate!
Posted By: rdwarn Re: Digital co-axle cable question - 12/28/04 08:42 PM
Thanks for all the responses. I was thinking the "digital coax" cable was just a regular coax with RCA ends but wasn't sure. I ended up just getting a GE "Digital coax" for $9.99. If I was going to make my own, RCA ends at Home Depot are like $3.00 a piece so I don't feel like I paid all that much more. By the way, the equivalent "digital coax" in Monster Cable was $19.99!
Posted By: bridgman Re: Digital co-axle cable question - 12/28/04 09:39 PM
That's not so bad. Up here the "medium quality" monster digital coax is about $40 and "the only one good enough for your $500 receiver" is about $80. If the $80 monster cable is the only one worth using it makes you wonder how they get $40 for the crappy one

[EDIT] Just read the linked article. Looks like two coat hangers, one for signal and one for ground. That makes sense. Still interesting though -- I could *not* make a cheapo RCA interconnect work between my Sony DVD player and HK receiver.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Digital co-axle cable question - 12/29/04 03:23 AM
Ken, at this time of year it's probably appropriate to also recall the heroic exploits of Mick Loney and Al Magnani in the digital wire wars.
© Axiom Message Boards