Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Donincos Speaker cabinet buzz - 01/12/05 04:42 PM
I was playing around with my AVIA the other day and I found that my M50's have a cabinet buzz at about 200 Hz. Anyone run into this before?
Posted By: spiffnme Re: Speaker cabinet buzz - 01/12/05 04:43 PM
I'd email Axiom. That shouldn't happen.

Posted By: Ken.C Re: Speaker cabinet buzz - 01/12/05 08:40 PM
I've got M50s, and I've never heard anything like this. However, I also haven't done specific test tones. I second what Craig said.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Speaker cabinet buzz - 01/12/05 08:59 PM
Donincos, you got a small red wrench with your speakers. Take the grilles off and also look at your wire connections on the back. Try to tighten anything youcabn see.
Posted By: Donincos Re: Speaker cabinet buzz - 01/12/05 09:06 PM
I never got a wrench with my M50's or M3's. But I do have tools. I'll give that a try. I've also e-mailed Axiom.

Tanks for the input
Posted By: bridgman Re: Speaker cabinet buzz - 01/13/05 01:03 AM
In my case the wrench was black, not red. Little plastic thing about three inches long. Took a while to figure out what it was for
Posted By: Michael_A Re: Speaker cabinet buzz - 01/13/05 05:54 PM
Seems to me that there were a few cases of this being caused by some loose allen screws on one of the drivers a while back..
Posted By: alan Re: Speaker cabinet buzz - 01/13/05 05:54 PM
Hi all,

Here's the essence of the email response I sent to Donincos. It may be of interest to others who try fixed test-tones at high playback levels:

It's likely that the fixed 200-Hz tone is exciting a resonance, probably a vibrating speaker lead to one of the drivers. If you are running fixed tones at very high levels (85 dB SPL and louder at your listening position), they will cause resonances that would not occur on complex music or movie soundtrack playback.

That said, the real question is: Do you ever hear these buzzes with music or soundtrack playback? If you do, then use an Allen wrench to undo the screws for the woofers and tweeters, remove them (the leads only clip on in one way) and see if there are any wires next to wood that might buzz. If that doesn't cure it, and you do hear the buzzes with music or movie playback, email or phone our service manager, Joe Vassallo (joev@axiomaudio.com). It could be a driver problem (it's rare, but it does happen), in which case we would replace the offending driver.

Regards,

Posted By: alan Re: Speaker cabinet buzz - 01/13/05 05:59 PM
Michael_A,

Thanks for your suggestion. It often is a loose Allen screw.

The black plastic wrench (for the binding posts) should have been in the bag with the rubber feet for the M50s.

Regards,
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: Speaker cabinet buzz - 01/14/05 03:34 PM
sounds exactly like what i've got on one of my qs-8s, i'll have to do a little deconstructive surgery. thanks alan!
Posted By: Donincos Re: Speaker cabinet buzz - 01/14/05 07:34 PM
It seems that the offending buzz in one of the speakers was a loose screw in the lower driver. Nothing felt loose when I checked them. But I tightened them up as much as I felt I could. Did not want to strip out the screw holes. All vibrations gone in that speaker I still have one in the other speaker at around 150 Hz although it is not half as bad as the other one was. I'm sure it will end up being a similar problem. I guess thing might get little loose when you move a few times.

Thank Allen

Posted By: Ray3 Re: Speaker cabinet buzz - 01/14/05 07:40 PM
So now you would be forced to answer "YES" if anyone asks if you have a screw loose?

It's a disease and I can't control it.
Posted By: Donincos Re: Speaker cabinet buzz - 01/14/05 07:56 PM
Happens every day!
© Axiom Message Boards