Axiom Home Page
Hi there.

Ok, I know this question sounds a bit retarded! Why would someone want to connect the DVI interface to the component interface. Well this is my reason. The A-11 has an inbuilt Faroudja line scaler that only works on the DVI output. My HDTV, however, doesn't have a digital interface. The A-11 also requires that its connection be HDCP compliant.

Now I would love to be able to scale my DVDs up to 720p, so I was wondering if anyone knew of some gizmo I could attach that would have a DVI-HDCP input port and a component video output port. I'm not bothered about the conversion to analogue, I just want to find some way to get the use of that fancy scaler!!

So does anyone have any ideas or am I clamouring after a lost cause here?
I think that you won't find such a beast... at least not in the tradional "cable style" (there might be a black box solution out there somewhere).

It's not a matter of connector type, it's that you're dealing with two completely different signal types...digital and analog.

I think if there were such a black box available, the necessary enclosure, digital to analog convertors, power supply, etc.. produced on a small scale would cost half as much (or more) than replacing the TV.
The HDCP copy protection must be preserved from the DVD player through the display device. Although I think it's a bit silly, I have read that this even includes converting the digital signal back to analog. So although such a black box is certainly technically feasible, I believe the HDCP license (and thus federal law) prohibits making it.

On the positive side, I think you have the perfect excuse to buy a new display.

Bruce

I was hoping that there would be some sort of box I could attach that could do this, but it looks like I'm out of luck.

Unfortunately, my display was only bought last year and cost a rather large £7000, so I dont think I'm ready to replace it just yet. Plus I'm hampered by the Uk's failure to adopt a spec for HDTV content protection yet, so you'd be lucky to find a display available over here that wold have HDCP (or even a DVI port!) on it. They are available, but not in a high quantity.

I guess I'll have to put up with measly 480p (which does look bloody good anyway) until HD-DVD/Blu Ray players become popular.

Or I could just go and purchase a full blown Faroudja processor
Hmmm. I missed that you're in the UK. (I guess I read too much stuff in British when I just happily read through analogue, but then, I am currently reading "Eats, Shoots & Leaves.") I suspect you will still have the same problem with no one manufacturing such a device, but then again, you have a different set of laws governing copy protection, so maybe there's a chance...

Bruce

© Axiom Message Boards