Axiom Home Page
Posted By: scottkuehn HK AVR's and cable digital audio - 02/04/05 08:26 PM
I've got something I don't quite understand. I've got a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8000 DVR box that has a digital coax output on it.

I've got a HK AVR 430 that it's hooked up to via digital coax and standard analog cables. On most prime time chanels and most HBO stations I get a Dolby 2/0/.0 signal. The AVR changes to Dobly PL II Movie and turns on the rear channels. This is fine for me most of the time unless I want to tune to the music stations where I'd rather only use the mains.

Sometimes when watching HBO it receives a Dolby 5.1 signal and changes mode to Dolby Digital 3/2/.1 which is correct.

When I get the 2/0/.0 signal I can change it to Dolby Digital and then only the front two channels are in use. But, if I lose the digital signal because i go to an analog station or change inputs and go back to the 2/0/.0 signal it goes back to Dolby PLII Movie which then turns on the rear channels again.

So I suppose my question is does anyone else have this problem? When you get a 2/0/.0 Dolby dignal does it always go to Dolby PLII Movie?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HK AVR's and cable digital audio - 02/04/05 11:32 PM
It's a "feature" of the H/K receivers to use DPL to augment Dolby 2.0 if the speakers are present. I would guess the display reads something like DD+DPLII-Movie. My 525 does this to me on DVD menus.
Posted By: alan Re: HK AVR's and cable digital audio - 02/05/05 02:50 PM
Hi,

Like Kenneth's, my H/K 525 does the same thing. Dolby Labs is fairly generous in allowing manufacturers who license Dolby decoding to implement it in various ways. It may be H/K's own default.

I agree that it's OK much of the time, although sometimes I prefer Dolby Digital in two channel, sans the DPLII.

Regards,
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HK AVR's and cable digital audio - 02/05/05 03:49 PM
Yeah, I just wish I could get rid of that 2 sec surround mode switching thing between the menus and the program material.
Posted By: bridgman Re: HK AVR's and cable digital audio - 02/05/05 05:36 PM
There's a patch out from HK, not sure if it is 630 only or all the AVRs with a serial port.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HK AVR's and cable digital audio - 02/05/05 07:12 PM
I'm pretty sure it's 630 only, but I should probably give them a call. I didn't think the 525 had upgradeable firmware.
Posted By: alan Re: HK AVR's and cable digital audio - 02/06/05 03:00 PM
kcarlile,

Yes, I agree the 2-second delay is kind of annoying, but the digital circuitry has to "lock" to the incoming signal, so I'm not sure that it's avoidable. The good thing is that there are no unpleasant switching noises when you select different digital or analog inputs. I notice similar delays with different digital video signals from an up-converting DVD player using a DVI connection directly to an HDTV. Acutally, the delay is longer than with digital audio and the H/K.

It occurs with video because even though you are using a DVI and digital connection, the HDTV's internal scaler still has to "re-clock" to the incoming digital video signal. The same thing happens if I use the DVI output from my Pioneer HD digital cable box.

And I think you are correct about the non-upgradablility of the 525. I clicked on that icon (frown) but it appeared at the top of my post, instead of after "525". What am I doing wrong?

Regards,
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HK AVR's and cable digital audio - 02/06/05 06:22 PM

You have to type it in line of the post, as : ( or [ frown ] without, of course, the spaces.

I'll live with the pause. I just wish no one had ever mentioned it!
Posted By: alan Re: HK AVR's and cable digital audio - 02/07/05 03:41 PM
K,

I think you were the first one to mention it. It never bothered me until I read your post! Thanks for the tip on the Icon.

Regards,
Posted By: Ken.C Re: HK AVR's and cable digital audio - 02/08/05 07:17 AM
Nope, not I. Someone mentioned it about a year ago, and that's when I noticed it. Having never owned a DD reciever before, I didn't find the delay out of the ordinary.
Posted By: Michael_A Re: HK AVR's and cable digital audio - 02/09/05 12:51 AM
The 430 can also be upgraded.

I would imagine that none of the HK's future models will have the delay since they went through the trouble of fixing it in the 430 and 630 models.

Funny. I had the 630 for almost a year and the delay didn't bother me at all. Now that it's gone, I wouldn't want to switch back.
Posted By: scottkuehn Re: HK AVR's and cable digital audio - 02/09/05 04:27 PM
I upgraded the 430 as well with the latest software. As far as the Dolby PLII Movie it must just be the HK standard when detecting a 2.0 source. I'm just very midly disappointed it doesn't want to remember when I change it to Dolby Digital 2.0 only. Not a huge deal.

Random note... My sister came over and told me she didn't understand this surround sound stuff and everyone who had "it" she wasn't impressed...

So I demo'd the system.

I tried to explain to her how I'd rather listen to the music channels in 2 channel without the rear channels on. Sure enough, she preferred the Dolby PLII Music. We watched some movies and listened to CD's and music channels and she noted that this was the first time she could actually tell the difference and liked what she heard. Granted she would never spend near the cash I did on this either so I suppose it's all up to your own priorities.
© Axiom Message Boards