Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Seabear little inexpensive tube amps - 02/12/05 05:18 PM
I have long thought of getting into the tube thing for two channel music, I could have sworn I saw a review on Audioholics site for a small inexpensive, mono-block tube amp that they really liked for something like $100.
I've searched their site, and can not find it.
Does this description jarr anyone else's memory?
I was prompted to start thinking about this again after reading several posts about how wonderful the M3's sound with tube amps.
And my M60's would make pretty nice stands for the M3's, No?
Thanks in advance,
TjB

Posted By: 2x6spds Re: little inexpensive tube amps - 02/12/05 11:41 PM
Yes, that would be the Antique Sound Labs Wave 8s. They are a terrific match for M3s.
Posted By: snakeyes Re: little inexpensive tube amps - 02/13/05 01:17 AM
here is a link to a review of them they seem to be discontinued. 2x6 do you have any idea wher i could get a pair? my stereophile buddy's birthday is coming up and that would be awesome to suprise him with.
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: little inexpensive tube amps - 02/13/05 02:43 AM
The Antique Sound Labs AV 8s have been replaced by the AV 25 DT - a pair of monoblocks which put out 20 watts per channel (that's big for a wee tubie) more than enough to drive M3s or M22s or M60s. Check them out on the Divergent Technologies website:
http://www.divertech.com/aslwaveav20dt.htm

They're going for about $345 a pair.

G'luck!
Posted By: Wid Re: little inexpensive tube amps - 02/13/05 02:48 AM
2x6,

I was just looking at them amps in Audio Advisor.They have them listed for $345 each.The ones listed are ASLW AV-25s,are these the same ones ?
Posted By: snakeyes Re: little inexpensive tube amps - 02/13/05 02:26 PM
It says $345 on the site i assume that is for one quite a jump from $100 each.
Posted By: Seabear Re: little inexpensive tube amps - 02/13/05 02:41 PM
Thanks Snakeyes,
That indeed was the review I was remembering. Now I guess I have to start looking around to see if they are indeed available anywhere. The picture of the "replacements" seems like they are a bit more "finished" and less of a raw product, but I am not going ot get into that price range for this little experiment. At $200 for the amps, and $300 for the M3's I would consider doing it tomorrow. It is just one of those larks that I sometimes go off on, and may not even come to fruition, but it is fun to ponder.
I knew you guys would know what amps I was talking about.
Posted By: Seabear Re: little inexpensive tube amps - 02/13/05 03:06 PM
Well, there you go. I never even looked at the top of the page to see the date. 2001! In Audio years (not to mention Exchange rates!) that's more like 20 years, heh?
And, BTW, what is this fellow talking about with the 22, 25 & 30 gauge speaker wire? Do they use a different scale wherever he is writing this review from?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: little inexpensive tube amps - 02/13/05 07:09 PM
I don't know who Audio Adviser is but I think you can get them for $345 a pair at Divergent Technologies.
Posted By: Wid Re: little inexpensive tube amps - 02/13/05 08:23 PM

Heres the add I was talking about at Audio Advisor .
Posted By: Ken.C Re: little inexpensive tube amps - 02/13/05 08:48 PM
No, they don't, and that's my guess as to why he hears a difference with speaker cable. Compare a 30 gauge speaker cable to a 12 gauge speaker cable at 10 ft, and you're gonna get some SERIOUS signal loss, which I'm guessing could be interpreted as increased warmth.
Posted By: bridgman Re: little inexpensive tube amps - 02/14/05 03:14 AM
>>I don't know who Audio Adviser is but I think you can get them for $345 a pair at Divergent Technologies.

Looks like $345 US each at both Audio Adviser AND Divergent Technologies.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: little inexpensive tube amps - 02/14/05 08:40 AM
Yup Ken, from the horse's mouth:

"The good old tried and true Radio Shack (Tandy) 30-guage magnet wire smoothes out the highs, makes the midrange ever more charming while the bass is still quite good..."

At these gauges, the speaker wire will definitely affect the signal.
© Axiom Message Boards