Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Grexx DVD-A Static - 02/16/05 04:42 AM
Hello,

Its my first time setting up my DVD Audio. I think did everything right with all the connections and setups. My question is why do I hear static sound on the background (sounds like crackling) on Suround Playback? while the Stereo Playback is just fine. Is it my setup or just the DVD-A itself?
Thanks is advance.

By the way the Album is The Look of Love by Diana Krall
Posted By: bridgman Re: DVD-A Static - 02/16/05 04:56 AM
I don't have that DVD-A and haven't hooked up the 5.1 cables yet to play DVD-A so can't comment if the recording is bad.

One easy thing to try would be swapping BOTH ends of the cable between main and surround (ie swap main L with surround L at both ends) so if the cable is causing the crackling your mains would crackle instead of the surrounds.
Posted By: Grexx Re: DVD-A Static - 02/16/05 05:06 AM
Swapping it is a good idea but the crackling goes around from back to front left right centre and so on. Whats bizzare about it is I unhooked all the cables on the surrounds, centre, and sub; just the two fronts and still hear the static on all the speakers.
Posted By: bridgman Re: DVD-A Static - 02/16/05 05:13 AM
Oh that's wierd. Does your receiver have mechanical input switches or something like that ? Maybe turn down the volume and switch back and forth between 5.1 inputs and something else a few times...
Posted By: Grexx Re: DVD-A Static - 02/16/05 01:33 PM
Sorry, I don't quite follow. If it helps I have the HK235.
Posted By: Grexx Re: DVD-A Static - 02/16/05 01:35 PM
Sorry, I'm not following ya. If it helps I have an HK235.
Posted By: bridgman Re: DVD-A Static - 02/16/05 10:49 PM
Sorry. I was just saying that if you have mechanical switches to choose the DVD-A inputs vs. CD vs. tuner etc.., try flipping from one input to another a few times to see if that cleans some oxide off the switches.

I was just thinking that if you are getting static with no input signal but are not getting static from other sources there are only a few things between the input jacks and the circuitry used for other sources... and the input selector switches are pretty much the only thing left.
Posted By: Grexx Re: DVD-A Static - 02/16/05 11:21 PM
Thanks for the input...

I just did a research on this Toshiba SD4900; and I'm not the only one with this problem. Apparently this player on DVD-A mode gives some crackling sound. I already called toshiba and they will be replacing it with a newer model. Thank God for warranty.
© Axiom Message Boards