Axiom Home Page
Posted By: shag Receiver shutdown? - 03/01/05 01:07 AM
My HK AVR630 is constantly shutting down. I know it is not from over heating since I added an external fan to it to avoid this. Plus, after turning the receiver on when it is ice cold, it shuts down after around 20 seconds. This has been going on for the last day. I can't keep the receiver on without it shutting down.

Anyone have any ideas what else to look for? Loose wire maybe?
Posted By: Wid Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/01/05 01:19 AM
A loose or frayed wire would be first on my list to look for.Did anything get moved around ?
Posted By: shag Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/01/05 01:25 AM
Nothing was moved, but I do have a ferret that goes behind the tv and shuffles through the wires. I've been betting he screwed something up. I'm still trying to figure out how to keep him from going behind the tv.
Posted By: Wid Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/01/05 01:40 AM
Well that's a unique problem.Those critters can get into some pretty small places.I think I'de be watching the ports on the M80s and sub.That would be an awful expensive play ground for a ferret.
Posted By: shag Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/01/05 02:15 AM
Unique is right. I've had ferrets in the past that chewed on cords and I did have one that like to climb in the sub ports of some older speakers I had for years. Fortunately my lastest one doesn't have any of those bad habits. He's pretty good, but he does move the wires around when he goes behind the tv. This problem will be fixed by tomorrow.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/01/05 02:56 AM
>>I've had ferrets in the past ... I did have one that like to climb in the sub ports ... This problem will be fixed by tomorrow...

Let me guess. The Darla Tap scene at +10 dB ? Frisky the Flying Ferret...

It does sound like a strand short...
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/02/05 01:02 AM
Yep - classic case of a short somewhere.

If you can't control your ferret - PLEASE, PLEASE mark your gorilla ports.

Should bigjohn ever visit - it could present a problem. Aside from being a known "cone toucher", he has been known to insert assorted body parts (don't ask) into the gorilla ports. It would be unfortunate for him to encounter the toothy end of a ferret cornered in the speaker.
Posted By: littleb Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/02/05 01:21 AM
I've never experienced receiver shutdown, ever. I've had a bad cold and the flu many times, but never, ever, receiver shutdown. If It ever happened, I would probably suspect a broken receiver. Of course, I guessed I've never gotten my wires crossed.
Posted By: richeydog Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/02/05 02:46 AM
in reply to:

"It would be unfortunate for him to encounter the toothy end of a ferret cornered in the speaker."

Ray, this might be the solution to "wean" bigjohn from his extracurricular activities.
Posted By: Ray3 Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/02/05 02:47 AM
I don't think the big guy can be helped!
Posted By: bray Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/02/05 02:51 AM
If he likes gorilla ports, he may like Ferrets too.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/02/05 02:37 PM
i was always very fond of the 'pet shop boys' in the early 80's..?

bigjohn

Posted By: shag Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/02/05 04:00 PM
After spending the day checking all the wires and disconnecting them one by one the receiver continues to shutdown. I was left with the receiver sitting on my kitchen table with nothing hooked up to it but its own power cord. It still will not stay on for more than 30 seconds. I tried a different power cord and got the same results.

I'm left with the conclusion that something is wrong with the receiver.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/02/05 04:21 PM
Hmm. That doesn't sound good. Wouldn't hurt to shine a bright light on the back and look for loose wire strands which might still be there after the speaker wires were removed.

Any chance something fell through the grill ?
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/02/05 04:35 PM
In reply to:

Any chance something fell through the grill

yea, like ferret guano?

bigjohn
Posted By: jorge016 Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/02/05 05:01 PM
Shag, I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but I had an HK AVR130 which did the same thing. It turned out to be a bad (cracked solder) connection on one of the internal boards. Mine was under warranty but it was in the shop for a while. Sorry.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Receiver shutdown? - 03/02/05 05:32 PM
Just occurred to me -- my 630 started doing something similar a few weeks after I picked it up. I was able to exchange it at the dealer so don't know what the problem was in the end.

I'll dig through my notes and see if I had the same problem. Sorry I didn't think of this earlier...
© Axiom Message Boards