Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ravi_singh fixing a cracked CD - 03/14/05 11:46 PM
hey everyone,

I just realized that the inner plastic (before the actual part of the disc where the information is) has two or three small cracks. I'm afraid they will grow in size or destabilize the disc.

I don't want it to break (Peter Gabriel - Up - SACD, not cheap to replace and i cannot burn it), nor do I want it to explode in my player.

Does anyone know a good way to prevent these cracks from getting worst and make sure it doesn't eventually break the disc?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/15/05 12:08 AM
You could try plastic cement. It works by "melting" the immediate surfaces you apply it to and then bonding the surfaces together. It's supposed to form a bond as strong as the plastic itself. I would, of course, test this on a disk you don't care about, first.

You can find plastic cement at hobby and model stores. If you've ever put together plastic model cars/airplane/ships, you'll know what to look for.

Here's a page about it.

When you're ready to give it a crack -- no pun intended -- on your SACD, use a toothpick to apply the cement to both sides of the crack.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/15/05 12:41 AM
But then wouldn't you have to worry about putting too much cement that the weight of the disk is no longer centered?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/15/05 01:31 AM
Since the crack is near the center hole, the chances of unbalancing the disk with cement are small (i.e., the further out from the center you place extra mass, the more it will affect the disc's balance). Use it sparingly, and if there is concern of unbalancing the disk, apply the same amount to the opposite side of the hole.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/15/05 03:03 AM
pmbuko

very good idea. thanks. i wil try it on a blank cdr before the sacd.

i'll post here how it turns out
Posted By: BrenR Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/15/05 05:35 AM
Wow... how did you crack disc media? I don't think I've ever seen radial cracks there...

Speaking of CD longevity - the first CD I ever bought will be turning 17 this year. Went into the ONE bin at A&M Records?!?... long defunct anyway... and picked up a copy of the Pogues If I Should Fall From Grace With God... remember carrying it home like it was the crown jewel... those high-tech compact discs and all!

Bren R.

Posted By: ravi_singh Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/15/05 06:03 AM
Bren

I have no clue how it happened. I hope it wasn't like that when I bought it, because I can't return it (purchased in Hong Kong, I live in Montreal).

I take VERY good care of my cd's and therefore lend them to no one. This is the first time I see a crack. HOWEVER, when I bought The Downward Spiral on SACD, it was cracked out of the box! I got that replaced because I bought it here.

Perhaps I'll check my next SACD purchase a little closer
Posted By: Seabear Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/15/05 01:42 PM
"Wow... how did you crack disc media? I don't think I've ever seen radial cracks there... "

I have issues with some of the discs that come in the cardboard folders with the holder glued into the inside of the folder.
On two that I have bought, the part that you push in the center with your thumb is so tight, that when trying to lift the edge of the CD I have literally cracked the CD without ever getting it out of the holder!
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/15/05 03:11 PM
the exact same thing happened to me with the NIN CD. I can't remember, but maybe that's what happened with the Peter Gabriel
Posted By: BrenR Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/15/05 06:30 PM
In reply to:

I have issues with some of the discs that come in the cardboard folders with the holder glued into the inside of the folder.

Digipaks? Hmm... not one of my favorite ways of packaging materials. Luckily only got one in my CD collection (Sugar - Believe What You're Saying EP).

Bren R.
Posted By: m_underwood Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/16/05 01:00 AM
My Lord of the Rings: Fellowship of the Ring disc is cracked like that as well. I'm pretty sure it was due to the ultra-tight retainer thingy in the original DVD case.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/16/05 03:05 AM
If it were me id just leave it the way it is. There were alot of problems like this with some of the DSOTM sacd's
Posted By: Seabear Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/16/05 03:54 AM
Well Praise the ...
I have finally found someone else this has happened to.
My small local CD shop owner swore he had never seen it happen before, and I kinda had to lean hard to get him to push his supplier to replace the two that cracked.
Geeezzz I'm glad I'm not the only one.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/16/05 04:23 AM
well, i tried the glue.

it hardly melted the plastic, so i doubt it's sturdier.

i played the cd again and shuffled it around a lot and it didn't break, so at least i didn't make it worst
Posted By: sidvicious02 Re: fixing a cracked CD - 03/17/05 03:25 AM
In reply to:

Digipaks? Hmm... not one of my favorite ways of packaging materials. Luckily only got one in my CD collection (Sugar - Believe What You're Saying EP).

You are absolutely right, those digipaks are evil. I can't stand the liner notes constantly falling out, drives me . Problem is i have been buying a lot of cds from Epitaph and Hellcat records lately - all digipaks. It would be nice to have the choice at least.
© Axiom Message Boards