Axiom Home Page
Posted By: triplejtm Hum from EP500 - 03/27/05 03:34 AM
Does anyone know about the low level hum that I am getting from the 500? I've already taken out the ground loop screw, and it's helped- but I still have a hum.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Hum from EP500 - 03/27/05 03:39 AM
There was a post here from another EP500 owner who had been having hum problems as well. Seems like most of the problems are ground loops related to cable or satellite TV feeds not being grounded properly by the installer...

I'm going from memory here (will search in a minute) but I think the solution for the other poster was some kind of "isolator" from Jensen. My guess is that it isolates the ground from the cable/satellite RF feed but not 100% sure.

EDIT -- looks like an isolator in line with the sub cable was the final solution, not the one in line with the cable feed. Not sure I like the sound of that... I would still try isolating the cable feed first or (if you can find a service guy who understands ground loops) getting the cable grounding fixed would be best.

Do you still get EP500 hum if you disconnect all the external feeds (cable/satellite etc..) and just have (say) receiver and CD or DVD player ? Is all the equipment plugged into the same AC circuit ?
Posted By: bridgman Re: Hum from EP500 - 03/27/05 03:53 AM
Here you go...

http://www.axiomaudio.com/boards/showflat.php?Cat=&Board=tech&Number=85849&page=&view=&sb=&o=&vc=1
Posted By: triplejtm Re: Hum from EP500 - 03/27/05 04:04 AM
Thanks,
I'll try recalibrating.
Posted By: donjuanmiguel Re: Hum from EP500 - 03/27/05 04:06 AM
Yep. I'd try to correct the loop at the cable tv first. If that does not help, then try the sub isolator. That was the solution for me. I had the cheater plug on for a while but didn't like the thought of it or the fact the sub would "thump" evertime I'd change sources. A simple recalibration was all that was needed after that.

(Sorry, getting late and haven't finished my coffee)

© Axiom Message Boards