Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ratpack Center Channel - 05/02/05 05:24 PM
While I am new to this forum, I am not new to audio components, stereo, or Home Theater. I bought my first stereo receiver in the Summer of 1968 and have had many components over the years. My newest purchase is a VP-150 as I upgrade (replace) my JBL SCS 120 speaker system. I will probably purchase a pair of M80s or a SVS 20-39PCi next. The receiver is a Kenwood 1090VR. Even though it is 8 years old, it is pretty good. It has 5 channels at 150 watts per channel at 6 ohms.

The question I would like to pose to the board is why isn't there more empahsis on better center speakers since they tend to do most of the work?

I know there is a thread on this board about center channel speakers, but I think that it is a little more specific to a person's system as opposed to a general discussion.

Comments and discussion appreciated.

The Rat.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Center Channel - 05/02/05 05:38 PM
In reply to:

The question I would like to pose to the board is why isn't there more empahsis on better center speakers since they tend to do most of the work?

I'm a "centre" guy. Why isn't there more emphasis? I've never ever heard an audiophile *tongue planted in cheek* say "listen to how detailed and crisp this dialogue is!"... it's always either "listen to how loud my floorstanders are" or "listen to how thumpy my bass is".

Same with a lot of things... performance cars aren't compared by how well they can hold the road, just a simple number - either 0-60 or top speed. Sure, buried in the sidebar it gives cornering G's right below fuel mileage and curb weight, but it's never the flag that's flown about the car.

Feel free to grunt and thump your chest.

Bren R.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Center Channel - 05/02/05 06:23 PM
There have been a few very heated discussions regarding center channels, design and the VP150 in particular, in the past. Maybe a search will yield some results.
I think the reason many people are not fanatical about their centers is because they either work well or they don't. With the front channels being used heavily for music, we tend to get more emotional when discussing them I suppose.
Personally, I use the center once a week or so - the mains for hours each day. Thus I am more concerned with the mains.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Center Channel - 05/02/05 06:39 PM
Bren:

You make an interesting point. Maybe it is a universal answer, I just don't know.

I did see on another thread on this board that someone was going to use a M60 for a center channel. It will be interesting to see what he has to say.

But in any case, with most Home Theater systems, the center channel is a "lesser" speaker than either of the fronts. Now, assuming that you have a subwoofer, why shouldn't the center channel be at least the same? Why shouldn't it be better? I suspect that there have been discussions, somewhere over the years, as to why. I just haven't found them.

The Rat.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Center Channel - 05/02/05 06:41 PM
Big:

By any chance do you have a link to these discussions? If not, do you remember about when they were discussed?

The Rat.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Center Channel - 05/02/05 06:46 PM
That adds in the extra variable of how each individual listens to each source. Some here (like myself) listen to music through a DSP that matrixes the two channels to 5 or 6, while other listen in pure stereo (keep them nasty DSPs off my music!)

Then factor in what percentage of each user's listening is:
Stereo music in pure stereo, stereo music in 5.1, multichannel music, television viewing, movie viewing, etc.

Bren R.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Center Channel - 05/02/05 06:57 PM
I know some of you guys like the DSP modes (I don't, ughhh! ) and the new multi-channel formats, but I reckon most people still listen in mostly 2 channel.
ratpack, there was some fiery discussion about a year ago, involving a nit-wit named TonyGeno vs everybody else.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Center Channel - 05/02/05 07:29 PM
In reply to:

I know some of you guys like the DSP modes (I don't, ughhh! ) and the new multi-channel formats, but I reckon most people still listen in mostly 2 channel.

I understand completely why you listen in pure direct... straight off the CD, amplified and into your ears... nothing messing with your tunes.

I smell a poll coming on.

Bren R.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Center Channel - 05/02/05 07:46 PM
Bren:

I use mine almost exclusively for Home Theater. I rarely just listen to music on it. The other day I finally got a DVD player and optical cable to really use the 5.1. What a difference!!!

I'm looking forward to getting my VP-150.

The Rat.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Center Channel - 05/02/05 07:48 PM
Big:

Thanks!

I'll do a search on TonyGeno and see what I can find.

The Rat.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Center Channel - 05/02/05 08:36 PM
Big:

I found the TonyGeno post. It seems that he thought that he was having problems with the VP-150. There really wasn't a general discussion on center channel speakers.

Maybe there should be a VP-200 and VP-250.

Just a thought or two.

The Rat.
Posted By: bigwill2 Re: Center Channel - 05/02/05 09:24 PM
I thought you would be interested in the discussion involving driver arrays. Maybe that was in a different thread?
Posted By: frzoll Re: Center Channel - 05/02/05 09:39 PM
I finally gave up on using a center.My wife, who has great hearing had trouble hearing the dialogue and I wear hearing aids and really had trouble.I bought a pair of Def Tech BP 10 Bs to replace my m-22s and set things up using a phantom center.We watched a movie Sat. night and the phantom center was much better.I 'm getting rid of the 22s and the VP 150 on e-bay.

Posted By: BrenR Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 02:03 AM
In reply to:

I wear hearing aids and really had trouble.I bought a pair of Def Tech

Does anyone else find that product name funny in this situation?

Like "I could hardly see the TV screen until I bought a pair of Blind Tech 605s."

Bren R.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 03:01 AM
frzoll:

Sorry to hear about your difficulties. Glad you found a solution.

I received my VP-150 this afternoon and WOW does it make a difference. I have been watching TV this evening and it is amazing how the room seems to fill with fuller, richer sound.

I ordered it last Thursday evening and here it is. I am going to have some fun listening to a DVD with the full 5.1, but I guess that will have to wait until another evening.

The Rat.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 03:05 AM
Bren:

Sometimes fact is stranger than fiction. I'm glad that he found a good solution. The main thing is that he is happy with his unit.

The Rat.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 03:24 AM
I'm happy with my unit too. I just wish all the spammers on the internet knew it.
Posted By: JohnK Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 04:14 AM
But Peter, are you sure that you wouldn't be better off with a bigger unit?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 04:21 AM
So it's been you all along????
Posted By: richeydog Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 04:27 AM
Hey I thought Randy Johnson was/has the big unit?

Bernard, get those m80's and rock on! I noticed you live in Alabama. Whereabouts? I lived there from the year of 91' to 93'.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 11:22 AM
richey:

North Alabama area. Been here, off and on, since 1963.

The Rat.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 11:24 AM
pm:

What's the deal with your speakers and spammers? I think that I'm missing something here.

The Rat.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 12:16 PM
Peter, YOU have to explain it.
Posted By: bigjohn Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 01:09 PM
frzoll- i am curious if you tried the M22's in a 'phantom center' format? might you have got the same results without having to buy the def tech's?

i too have experiemented with the phantom center, and i have M60's. i found it is good ONLY if you are in the prime listening position, directly in front of the TV. it tends to be less effective as you move further away from the sweet spot. and i also noticed it had varied results depending on which movie you watched.. some sounded much better than others using the phantom center.

but, glad you could find a final result you are happy with. good luck on ebay.

bigjohn
Posted By: mwc Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 01:14 PM
In reply to:

I finally gave up on using a center

Me too! I've never heard a dedicated center speaker that blended seamlessly with the mains.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 03:48 PM
put your mind in the gutter for a second and then consider the many possible meanings of "unit". Then add in the content of many spam e-mails.
Posted By: biggsly5000 Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 06:59 PM
Happy you found a solution frzoll, so when those M-22's going on ebay?
Posted By: littleb Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 07:29 PM
You must be talking about Super V-man.
Posted By: frzoll Re: Center Channel - 05/03/05 09:56 PM
They're already gone ,sold them in 1 week.
Posted By: ratpack Re: Center Channel - 05/05/05 02:15 AM
OK, you need go no further.

I guess that there isn't as much out there on center channels as I had thought/ hoped. I still have to wonder why there isn't more emphasis on the center channel for home theater sound.

The Rat.
© Axiom Message Boards