Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ravi_singh bi-wiring - what does it claim to do - 05/03/05 03:13 PM
i'm considering trying it just to see if i hear a difference. i already have the cables so it won't cost me anything.

do i just plug both cables into the amp and then one to the bottom set and one to the top set of binding posts on the M80's, and remove the metal bridge?

how is it supposed to improve the sound?

thanks,
ravi
Posted By: Ken.C Re: bi-wiring - what does it claim to do - 05/03/05 03:50 PM
1. Yes.

2. Damned if I know.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: bi-wiring - what does it claim to do - 05/03/05 03:50 PM
Yup. You've got the right idea on biwiring the speakers. The (totally unfounded) claim is that it makes the speakers sound better. Since the cables are not electrically separate -- they're touching at the amp end -- bi-wiring is pretty much just a way of increasing the thickness of the wire going to the speakers. If one wire 'is already thick enough to carry a signal without loss, then bi-wiring will make no difference.
Posted By: BrenR Re: bi-wiring - what does it claim to do - 05/03/05 04:29 PM
The claim is that the big, heavy bass electrons beat up on the thin, statuesque treble electrons in the wire, so they separate them.

Works in junior high - in electrical theory it is very suspect. Though two runs of 12ga. is equivalent to a 9ga run. Which could be helpful if your speakers were in a different area code.

Bren R.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: bi-wiring - what does it claim to do - 05/03/05 06:24 PM
Well, it's 9 gauge if they're electrically connected, but if they're separate wires, they're separate wires.
Posted By: BrenR Re: bi-wiring - what does it claim to do - 05/03/05 06:31 PM
Whoops. You're right, Ken. Got sidetracked by a phone call halfway through that message and forgot we were discussing bi-wiring.

Bren R.
Posted By: ravi_singh Re: bi-wiring - what does it claim to do - 05/05/05 08:35 PM
thanks for all the replies

i forgot i was supposed to try this

i should give it a shot soon
Posted By: Ken.C Re: bi-wiring - what does it claim to do - 05/05/05 10:55 PM
Resistance is futile. You will read the article.
Posted By: NeverHappy Re: bi-wiring - what does it claim to do - 05/06/05 03:19 AM
Now if we could only get those pesky speaker manufactures who spend millions on R&D to get rid of the option to bi-wire, this debate would be put to rest.

Makes me go hmmmmmm as to why they don't?
Posted By: pmbuko Re: bi-wiring - what does it claim to do - 05/06/05 03:30 AM
because some (hate the word) "audiophiles" view bi-wirability as a sign of high-endedness. But don't forget, you also need two pairs of binding posts to bi-amp, which is NOT an exercise in futility.
Posted By: SirQuack Re: bi-wiring - what does it claim to do - 05/06/05 03:48 AM
Because then you could not Bi-Amp your speakers.

ps: oh crap pmbucko beat me again, this darn country dial-up sucks
© Axiom Message Boards