Axiom Home Page
Posted By: ravi_singh dust in an RPTV on tubes and mirror - 05/06/05 09:27 PM
a guy was here today fixing my tv and he opened it up. I looked inside and noticed that the tubes and mirror had dust on them. not that much, but a certain amount, that surely will accumulate over time.

my assuption is that this will interfere with the video quality, causing grainy-ness.

any ideas as to whether it is a good idea to clean and how?

thanks,
ravi
Posted By: SirQuack Re: dust in an RPTV on tubes and mirror - 05/06/05 09:32 PM
Could you not used some good compressed air, that is what I use on my LCD projector in the even dust blobs start forming?

Just make sure you keep the can upright.
Posted By: rcvecc Re: dust in an RPTV on tubes and mirror - 05/06/05 09:44 PM
just did mine a couple of weeks ago,tv is about 10 years old and the picture did improve quite a bit.i used one of those microfiber cloths dry ,i only cleaned the bulbs not the mirror ,i didnt tell my wife that i did it and she said how good the picture looked,and she doesnt even care about this a/v/stuff
Posted By: Haoleb Re: dust in an RPTV on tubes and mirror - 05/07/05 01:42 AM
the mirror is quite fragile so i would go in there with a papertowel or something as you could scratch it. Personaly i wouldnt touch it. You should be alright cleaning the lenses though.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: dust in an RPTV on tubes and mirror - 05/07/05 01:52 AM
Aaaaag! Not Not NOT a paper towel! Unless you want to scratch it. Any of it... The microfibre cloths used for cleaning eyeglasses and such should be fine, I would think.
Posted By: Haoleb Re: dust in an RPTV on tubes and mirror - 05/07/05 02:34 AM
lol... oops. yeah i meant to say NOT a papertowel. good eye
Posted By: Ken.C Re: dust in an RPTV on tubes and mirror - 05/07/05 02:57 AM
I'm really, really glad you meant to say it... and you didn't think a paper towel was proper for the job!
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: dust in an RPTV on tubes and mirror - 05/07/05 03:29 AM
i'll side with sirquack here. i think that pressurized air in a can that you use for cleaning the insides of a computer would work well in this instance.
random thought- would some of that electronics-specific Endust be good for this situation?
Posted By: BrenR Re: dust in an RPTV on tubes and mirror - 05/07/05 05:41 AM
WATCH WITH "BLOW CANS"... if it siphons and you blow liquid on it, it'll leave a film.

As a glasses wearer (and a frequent cleaner of scanner mirrors when I smoked in my last house), the best cloth for cleaning lenses and mirrors is actually a well-used but clean tea towel (don't use fabric softener).

Bren R.
Posted By: bray Re: dust in an RPTV on tubes and mirror - 05/07/05 05:27 PM
If you have a local camera store, buy some lens cleaning tissue or a lens cloth. I wouldnt use anything else when optics are involved.
© Axiom Message Boards