Axiom Home Page
Posted By: mhj Frequency lengths - 05/30/05 09:08 PM
Help me settle an argument. Does anyone know the lenghts in feet and inches of 20 Hz, 200 Hz, 2000 Hz, 20,000 Hz.
Posted By: BrenR Re: Frequency lengths - 05/30/05 09:14 PM
In reply to:

Help me settle an argument. Does anyone know the lenghts in feet and inches of 20 Hz, 200 Hz, 2000 Hz, 20,000 Hz.

Uh, you can't make that calculation. Hertz is chronological (time - more accurately, events in a length of time)... that's like asking how wide 13 minutes is.

Bren R.
Posted By: mhj Re: Frequency lengths - 05/30/05 09:22 PM
the frequency wavelenghts is what i am looking for
Posted By: BrenR Re: Frequency lengths - 05/30/05 09:26 PM
If we're talking based on the speed of sound (~1125 ft/s) you'd just take that and divide by frequency.

20Hz - ~56 ft
200Hz - ~5.265 ft, etc...

I'm rounding off... you can google the speed of sound for more accurate measurements.

Bren R.
Posted By: mhj Re: Frequency lengths - 05/30/05 09:46 PM
Thats the calculation i was looking for Thanks I was not sure what it was
Posted By: JohnK Re: Frequency lengths - 05/30/05 11:47 PM
Mark, it depends on what the argument is about. If it's about sound waves of those frequencies in air, then the calculation is as Bren described. If it's about electrical signals at those frequencies going along a wire, the calculation would be based on a speed approaching the speed of light(about 186,000 miles per second)rather than the speed of sound, and would be many miles for all audio frequencies.
Posted By: mhj Re: Frequency lengths - 05/31/05 12:03 AM
sound waves in air
Posted By: BrenR Re: Frequency lengths - 05/31/05 04:35 AM
In reply to:

Mark, it depends on what the argument is about. If it's about sound waves of those frequencies in air, then the calculation is as Bren described.

At I think 20 celsius, at sea level, under the new moon *insert caveats here*

In reply to:

If it's about electrical signals at those frequencies going along a wire, the calculation would be based on a speed approaching the speed of light(about 186,000 miles per second)rather than the speed of sound, and would be many miles for all audio frequencies.

Thanks for clearing that up, I originally had a paragraph in my message about just that but I couldn't word it without confusing the subject more. You did very well.

Bren R.

© Axiom Message Boards