Axiom Home Page
Posted By: pgoodfield support poles in basement - 07/21/05 04:52 AM
Hi
I'm new to the forum. Great resource!!
I'm currently starting to design a listening room in my basement. I've read the data on the golden ratio stuff and have the room to do as I wish with ony one problem. (so far anyway). The support poles for the I-beam will be in the way. Certainly they are only 4" in diameter but just what effect they will have sonic wise. The best configuration I have come up with will have one of the poles tight along one of the walls a couple of feet in front of one of the speakers. Somtimes I think it won't matter at all since it is so small in diameter. Another considera tion is to install a lower ceiling about 7' 3'' and it won't be a problem at all.
any suggestions?
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: support poles in basement - 07/21/05 12:34 PM
Can't yet offer any advice.....

....but can say "WELCOME"

I envy you for being at the start of the journey.....the research is so much a part of the fun!!!

Just plonk down what it is that you have in mind for your system and you'll have the experts standing in line with lots of good advice!

(don't forget to check the "Home Theater Wizard" too....)
Posted By: bridgman Re: support poles in basement - 07/21/05 01:43 PM
Unless the poles are directly between listener and speaker (ie line of sight) I don't think they would make much difference. You will probably want to wrap them with wood or something for appearance which will also tame any funny reflections, so unless they are right where you want to put a sofa I wouldn't worry about them.

My problem is that the poles are always right where I want to sit

Welcome aboard, by the way.
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: support poles in basement - 07/21/05 01:48 PM
I'm not sure I agree with John on this one. I think that if they're not line-of-sight, just paint them and ignore them.

Putting wood on them only increases their size and adds flat surfaces to reflect more....
Posted By: bridgman Re: support poles in basement - 07/21/05 02:08 PM
Mark is probably right. I just have real bad luck with choosing paint colours
Posted By: MarkSJohnson Re: support poles in basement - 07/21/05 02:15 PM
Black always works until you get up for more popcorn in the darkened theater and smack your head on the steel!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: support poles in basement - 07/21/05 03:12 PM
Just issue helmets to guests.
Posted By: EddyZ Re: support poles in basement - 07/21/05 03:47 PM
Just wrap'em in black foam!
Posted By: bugbitten Re: support poles in basement - 07/21/05 03:50 PM
Yes! I remember now. Thats what parents did so kids can play in the basement.

I'm not speaking from personal experience.
Posted By: royce73 Re: support poles in basement - 07/21/05 04:11 PM
I have the same issue in my basement. The poles are right in the middle of the room, about 4 feet apart. I made the best out of it and placed my two recliners in between the poles so that my head is slightly behind the poles and placed my QS4 about 2-3 inches behind the "line" between my head and side walls. I have no problems what so ever with the QS4. If you like, I can take a picture later tonight and post it here.
Posted By: oldskoolboarder Re: support poles in basement - 07/21/05 04:29 PM
I saw the thread title and tried to figure out what kind of basement you were building. I thought it was a little stage and a pole like those MTV cribs that rappers have...
Posted By: Zarak Re: support poles in basement - 07/21/05 04:33 PM
I just figured you were setting up a "Gentleman's Club"/home theater room. Built in poles! You are already part way there.
Posted By: INANE Re: support poles in basement - 07/21/05 05:48 PM
I have the same problem, its the only thing that really pisses me off about my setup, BUT I will say since I got the QS4's it's not quit as bad as I feared. And mine are in line of sight to the sitting area.

I had to build a box around my pole because the person who built the house put some plumping right next to it, so I wanted to give it a cleaner look.

Posted By: rcvecc Re: support poles in basement - 07/21/05 11:24 PM
if you want to eliminate a pole,you can use a flitch plate.what that is,is two peices of steel that would sandwich your existing beam,and the steel has a bolt pattern so you can drill through and support the house and then remove the pole-usualy the poles are 8' apart so you can get a 16' opening.if youre not handy dont try this your self,get a price from a local contractor,if you can get it done pretty reasonable its nice to have the open space

© Axiom Message Boards