Axiom Home Page
Posted By: Tarun EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/22/05 01:23 PM
Can anyone please explain TRIM settings and or guide me to a link where I can do some reading to better understand it.

Currently my ep500 is set to remote trim and bypass on the crossover. Volume is at 8-9 o'clock.

-tarun
Posted By: pmbuko Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/22/05 03:23 PM
Trim depends on room size and is meant to help the in-room response in smaller rooms. It should be set Flat unless your room is on the small side. If I win the drawing, I'll be setting mine to Half or Full since my living room is only 12'x13'.
Posted By: Tarun Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/23/05 01:30 PM
I have the same dilema...a small room.
I will try out your recommendations and take it from there.

Thanks,
Posted By: izub Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/23/05 06:53 PM
Can you fill me in on the drawing? Is someone giving away a 500? Thanks for the info
Izub:
This thread is the raffle that was mentioned. All 100 tix were sold.
Posted By: alan Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/23/05 08:06 PM
Tarun,

Don't use Remote Trim at all (it is for future applications with Axiom electronics that will emable remote adjustment of subwoofer levels). The Trim setting should be at Flat, unless you want to add a bit of "kick" to the bass output in the 35-Hz region. Moving the Trim to Half applies 3 dB of boost at 35 Hz. Setting it to Full adds 6 dB or boost at 35 Hz.

This is covered in the Axiom Quick Setup Guide that should have been supplied with your EP500. Leave the crossover setting at Bypass (you are setting the crossover in your receiver/processor). Your volume setting sounds about right.

Regards,
Hmmm, more mention of "Axiom Electronics". How much longer must we wait to find out what these "Axiom Electronics" are???
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/24/05 04:44 AM
New Axiom Can Opener!

New Axiom Plug-in Air Freshener!

New Axiom Night Light!

Yup, sign up guys, there's gonna be a waiting list.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/24/05 04:46 AM
Me, I'm waiting for the blender.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/24/05 04:52 AM
Wait! There's a blender?

You must've got the super-secret newsletter. . .
Posted By: pmbuko Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/24/05 04:53 AM
I think we have enough information here to make some educated guesses as to what the new Axiom electronics might be. We now know Axiom Device X will be capable of setting subwoofer levels remotely. It is highly doubtful that they are making a device that is only capable of that, so one can assume X will also do other things.

Alan has long been critical of the Auto-EQ functions of currently available receivers. Perhaps Axiom is jumping into the "system controller" game and working on a very capable pre-amp with auto level and EQing capabilities???
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/24/05 05:00 AM
A remote for controlling the subs is so cool. Makes me really want to win that EP 500. So much easier to adjust levels from the listening position, rather than running back and forth.

Whatever they put out, I'm sure it will be useful.
Posted By: pmbuko Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/24/05 06:22 AM
You mean you can't adjust the sub's level via your receiver? Even my ancient Onkyo TX-DS575 lets me do that from the remote!
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/24/05 06:39 AM
I meant during initial set-up. Where my sub's at it's a pain to get at to adjust the gain. Is it just me or is the Hsu gain knob hyper sensitive? It seems like I breath on that thing and it changes.
Hsu gain pretty sensitive. Mine set very low, like 8:00 or something. Still have to turn it down with the receiver.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/24/05 05:26 PM
I was thinking yesterday, as my ears were bleeding, that maybe Axiom could use a DSP in the speakers to the same purpose as in their subs--to prevent the things from blowing or overextending or whatnot. What do you guys think? Is this totally far fetched?
Posted By: bridgman Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/24/05 05:35 PM
It's certainly possible, but subs are a better fit for DSPs because :

(a) they generallly include a power amp and have line level inputs so running the input through a DSP is a no-brainer. Putting a DSP in a normal speaker would require either a built in power amp or line level ins/outs going back to the receiver.

(b) subs run at low frequencies so you can run a lower sampling rate and let the DSP run more instructions on every sample. If you want to do a lot of processing on full range audio you tend to need a more powerful (read $$$) DSP.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/24/05 05:38 PM
Yeah, I was thinking about that. It would require active speakers, wouldn't it... hmm....
Posted By: bridgman Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/24/05 05:42 PM
Not that that's a bad thing. "Axiom introduces the MP80s; finally a top of the line speaker you can drive them with any receiver"
Posted By: Tarun Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/25/05 01:05 PM
Thanks Alan.
You are correct on the guide...but us types dont take the papers out until necessary..

I have set the sub as you suggested with remarkable results.

-Tarun
Posted By: bugbitten Re: EP500 Trim Settings - Please guide me. - 07/25/05 05:20 PM
Tarun,

Another thread started about the 350 vs 500. link
Would you post your thoughts about the EP500 to it.

Thanks,

Bug
Posted By: Tarun I SENSE A THREAD HI-JACK. - 07/25/05 09:09 PM
I SENSE A THREAD HI-JACK!!!!!!
© Axiom Message Boards