Axiom Home Page
Hello. My source, an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 only has RCA outs, RCA ins, and SPDIF outs and ins. So I cannot plug headphones directly into it.

My receiver, an HK3480, while being a nice amp, has a horrible SNR on its headphone out. I use canalphones, so the hiss is very annoying.

I would like to plug the headphones directly into the soundcard when I use them, so I am looking for some sort of cable or jack that has two RCA male stereo connectors on one end, and one female headphone jack on the other.

If this exists, I've yet to find it.
You'll need some kind of amplification for the headphones. A little headphone amp ought to take care of all of your problems.
Your RCA outs are all line level.

You could buy a headphone amp, or build your own.

Bren R.
You can make one. Or I could make one for you if you buy the parts.
Three identical answers in 2 mins.

Bren R.
line level output is usually 2 volts. phones dont need nearly that much so if its got a variable output then i suppose you could hook it up directly. Although ive never done it myself. But a headphone amp would be nice. Ive built a few of those myself also but sorry i dont wanna build any more. But like i said if you want a cable like that i can make one of those for you.
It is variable, from line level, down to 144 dB below line level, which is why I didn't think I needed a headphone amp.

2 vrms seemed like enough to drive efficient headphones. Spending $50 on a cmoy or $150 on some other amp seemed a tad inappropriate in this case.

Thanks for the suggestions.
TH, I don't know if that particular cable is available commercially, but you could certainly replicate it from items which are available, e.g. two RCA to one 1/8" Y-cable plus 1/8" to 1/4" adapter plus 1/4" to 1/4" coupler for your headphones. Or, as Brandon(haoleb) suggested, he or someone could make it as one piece.
If you want to run your headphones at line level... looks like this will do it...

Bren R.
© Axiom Message Boards