Axiom Home Page
Posted By: leaf UPS ..Power Supply - 10/22/05 06:46 PM
Hi All,

I'm getting my new tv this week. It's a Sony 42 inch rear project lcd.

I'm concerned about the light bulb getting proper cool down time after a power outage. When the power goes out the alarm goes off and you have time to properly shut down your tv. Just about any UPS will do this but..theres always a but...What about if I'm not there to actually turn off the TV?

I've been looking for a UPS that while hooked up to my HTPC could send a signal that would prompt a shut down signal sent to the tv through an IR blaster or something.

Anyone aware of such a unit?

Thanks
Leaf

I'll keep looking and post back if I find somethin.
Posted By: Ken.C Re: UPS ..Power Supply - 10/22/05 06:51 PM
Is there really a problem with LCD TV bulbs getting cool down time? I always thought that was a projector issue. I'm not very up on those technologies, though.

I think that most UPS software will let you run a script or other small app when they send the computer a shutdown signal. How good are you at programming?
Posted By: leaf Re: UPS ..Power Supply - 10/22/05 08:32 PM
I found belkins let you send a command line that should do it..
The TV I'm gettin is a rear projection thus cool down. http://www.sonystyle.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/eCS/Store/en/-/USD/SY_DisplayProductInformation-Start?ProductSKU=KDFE42A10&Dept=tvvideo&CategoryName=tv_ProjectionTVs_RearProjection_42to51TVs

Specs say it uses 210 watts so would a 550 watt UPS work like this one.
http://catalog.belkin.com/IWCatProductPage.process?Merchant_Id=&Section_Id=76&pcount=&Product_Id=171876

or should I get a larger one?
Posted By: Ken.C Re: UPS ..Power Supply - 10/22/05 09:22 PM
Huh. I had no idea. Glad you found something.

It really depends on how much you're going to put on the UPS. It's a good price, but it seems awfully small.

That said, I mostly use UPSes on servers and network equipement, so my perspective may be a little skewed.
© Axiom Message Boards