Axiom Home Page
Posted By: GregM Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/28/05 04:01 AM
I have never taken much interest in the Dolby Digital vs DTS comparisons so many people get into as I have never had the same movie with both audio formats with which to make a reasonable comparison. Well tonight I watched War of the Worlds which has both audio tracks available. The difference was HUGE.

1) With DTS, I had to have my receiver turned down 10db to get about the same level. Why DTS is so much louder i don't know, but maybe that's just the way it is.

2) More importanly, the LFE were much more prominent in the DTS track. For those who have yet to see the movie, listen to the lightning strikes at 15 minutes 30 seconds into the movie. If you have an EP500 you'll probably break something. There is also a jet fly by at about an hour into the movie that also sounds much better in DTS.

I had always thought that the sound for a movie was mixed completely independent of the final delivery format. If that is the case, shouldn't both soundtracks sound about the same? I am not so puzzled by the playback volume level as I can adjust that on my receiver. But once I do that, the great variation in what I hear as opposed to the level I hear it at is what has me guessing.

Althought the LFE in this movie was at times overwhelming in DTS mode, I did prefer it for playback. Those of you who have seen this movie may have just pressed play and gotten Dolby. Try it again at least for the section from 15:30 to about 16:30. You won't believe the difference.

So does anyone know if soundtracks aren't just compressed for Dolby or DTS, but they may in fact me mixed differently?

Greg
Posted By: cgolf Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/28/05 04:07 AM
Greg,
I haven't seen WOTW yet but I do know that Gladiator is DTS and it is much louder than any 5.1 DD that I have. There is something about DTS that is better and more distinct, I believe. And you're right, it's not just louder but you hear sounds in DTS that aren't audible in DD.

Charlie
Posted By: RickF Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/28/05 07:50 AM
We watched the movie for the first time on Friday evening and Saturday was the first complaint we've had regarding the system. Made me proud!

This is probably one of the only movies I remember watching that will put your system to work for not just a few scenes but for the entire length of the film! I always listen to movies in DTS, providing they are mixed in DTS, also whenever buying movies or concerts I have a habit of looking on the back of the DVD in the store to see whether or not it is mixed in DTS....that sometimes is a factor whether or not I buy the DVD, sometimes.
Posted By: real80sman Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/28/05 11:40 AM
Greg, check this thread, especially Alan's comments.
Posted By: GregM Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/28/05 03:16 PM
I agree with most of what is posted, especially that DTS appears to be mixed differently. Maybe the higher bit rate accomodates a more aggressive mix that Dolby can't handle. If that is the case, then I guess I give the nod to DTS for overall sound quality. Alas, there were dropouts in WOTW. Glad to know that it was DTS that caused it. My older AT 262PBM subwooder really put out some bass in that movie. I can't imagine what an EP500 would do.

Greg
Posted By: Amie Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/28/05 05:31 PM
Minute 25 of this movie had me leaping off the couch to re-secure the crystal. Guess I had let it move too close to the edge during 'drama' season and it wasn't prepared for 'action' season . . . a two-hour subwoofer showcase, for sure!
Posted By: bray Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/28/05 06:01 PM
" a two-hour subwoofer showcase, for sure!"

Yep....I've watched it once and listened to it three times now since Saturday.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/28/05 06:27 PM
So....I read all the comments on DD vs DTS, and decided....

....on DD!

My sub is not exactly up to DTS standards

I'm running a 12" PE Titanic driver with a 270W plate amp in....a 1946 3/8" plywood box designed to house a 10" full-range driver in a 16mm film projector system. The box is also designed to be used.....open!!!

So I stuffed my new driver in there with an increase of power of about 26 to 1(over the old tube amp that came with the system)and sealed the box.

(note: the box has a net volume of 1.62 cu ft, and gives a Qtc of .707 with my new driver, a very good match)

I am extreemly familiar with the smell of the box as it is the first speaker I ever listened to and have fond memories going back into the 40s of watching movies on this system

While watching(and listening)to WOTW this morning, I had renewed memories of the old smells, as the driver converted itself into an air pump and evacuated a large percentage of the box at numerous parts of the DVD thru various parts of the overstressed ancient enclosure!!

I think it's time to put the nostalgic past behind me and get a better cabinet!!

In reply to:

I think it's time to put the nostalgic past behind me and get a better cabinet!!

I hear the EP500 has a really nice cabinet.
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/28/05 07:02 PM
In reply to:

I hear the EP500 has a really nice cabinet.

and you should try one!!!!!

I figure if I can get everyone else to buy one, I'll just lose myself in the crowd.....
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/28/05 08:33 PM
Yup...looks like the 500 has a really, really nice cabinet!!

And a crowd of nice stuff inside too, I'll bet!!!
Posted By: GregM Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/28/05 08:49 PM
Amie,

Which sub are you using? I don't remember minute 25, but maybe I'll listen to it again tonight as it isn't due back until tommorrow.

Greg
Posted By: bridgman Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/28/05 09:16 PM
>>Amie, Which sub are you using?

I think you mean "Amie, how many EP600s are you using ?"
Posted By: Zarak Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/28/05 11:23 PM
This thread is killing me. I watched the movie at a relatives house Thanksgiving night with tiny satelite speakers. Now I want to hear it on my system! I didn't like it enough though to want to rent it and watch it again. I can see why people complained about the ending.
Posted By: RickF Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 12:04 AM
Zarak, did you get a chance to read about how this particular movie produced outrageous LFEs throughout?

Like you, other than the effects I didn't really care too terribly much for the movie overall. And is it just me or in every movie Tom Cruise plays in he seems like he's always in character of 'Maverick'? "That's right Iceman...I AM dangerous" *CHOMP*

Ugh
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 12:54 AM
Ola fellas
There's something repulsive about his persona, although I almost forgot it was Tom Cruise in Collateral Damage, and I did enjoy The Last Samurai. Watched War of the Worlds on the big system - SVS 20/39 subwoofer, Thiel CS 3.6 fronts, M50 like Michaura M66s on the sides, M22 like Michaura M55s at the back positions. I have to check my processor settings, because not only was the SVS putting out enormous amounts of LF sound, but the speakers were fairly stressed as well. I have 3 Yamaha 2 channel M80s with power output LEDs and they were lit like XMas trees. The Onkyo M504 driving the side surround speakers has needle type power meters and they were swinging.

The movie made no sense to me (HG Wells novella made perfect sense as did the Gene Barry movie from the 50's) but it is a Low Frequency work out for your system.
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 02:13 AM
F107, you may have the only Smell-O-Vision home theater set-up!

I'd sell tickets if I were you.
Posted By: F107plus5 Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 02:30 AM
The "Smell-O-Vision" analogy is really quite accurate, especially in some of the basement scenes where 60 year old musty wooden furniture is likely to be stored!!

Cool thought!!
Rich.
Posted By: Newf Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 02:56 AM
movie was definitely a mix of good and bad plot wise. I hated how it ended....just didn't add up and it was like they ran out of money/time during filming. Steven should be ashamed.

I didn't hate the movie at all. Actually I was really enjoying it for the most part. I just wanted more explanation at times.

I have warned people about this movie about turning it up too loud. This movie can kill speakers, pop tweeters, and stress a sub pretty bad. While it sounded great, I do not like a movie mixed in this manner where you have to turn it up to hear vocals, and then BAM, a laser shot from one of those tripod things kicks in so loud you start worrying about your tweeters. I don't like sources with such varying volumes, it can be dangerous. If the woman was watching movie by herself the first time, I have no doubt she'd have it up too loud for the quiet stuff, and when the action kicked in, it would have taken something out. I'm the type of person that has his hand on the volume button throughout a movie just in case.

Posted By: GregM Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 05:16 AM
Now you got me worried. I hope I didn't damage my brand new M22Ti's??

I was pretty carefull overall but how do you know if you have damaged a tweeter in some way? I should of course be able to hear it, but if anyone here knows a foolproof way to check my speakers for damage, I would love to hear it.

Greg
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 05:29 AM
Maybe someone could explain to me when the tripods were buried and how come we never stumbled across any over the years of our drilling, digging, seismographic plotting or plumbing with magnetometers?

How did the slugs ride the lightening?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 05:39 AM
C'mon 2x6spds, you're not supposed to think during movies nowadays. You're supposed to be bedazzled by all the fancy special effects and overlook all the holes in the plot.

You'd think the aliens would do a little more research before starting their invasion.
Posted By: NEW2AXIOM Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 05:39 AM
Greg, if they were damaged you would know it.

I cant wait till I get this movie. I ordered off amazon.com the othere day. Should be here soon. My EP500 is going to blow the house down!
Posted By: dmn23 Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 01:36 PM

After a year of film criticism in high school and another year in college, the phrase that sticks in my mind the most clearly is "suspension of disbelief" -- just a fancy way of saying you're not supposed to think too hard.
Posted By: James_T Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 04:53 PM
You beat me too it dmn23. However, you can only suspend so far. I can go along with them riding the lightning to get into the tripods (too much Star Trek I guess). But I don't see how we would never found them since they all seemed to have been conveniently buried where we would eventually place cities.
I did not care for the movie much myself. I'm also not a Tom Cruise fan so I watched at at TG at a friends. No home theater at all just a tv and dvd player. No idea what it sounds like on a nice system.
Posted By: Amie Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 06:12 PM
In reply to:

>>Amie, Which sub are you using?

I think you mean "Amie, how many EP600s are you using ?"

Two EP600s. Also should have mentioned that we listened to the DD soundtrack; plan to listen to the dts version with Alan who is popping up at the end of the week. I told Ian about your experience with the min 16 range so we'll do your experiment too!
Posted By: Amie Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 06:15 PM
I haven't read Wells' book, so I'm not sure if the plot problems came with the original story or not? At 1hr57mins, I would hope they didn't run out of time! That little Dakota Fanning sure can act, though, can't she?
In reply to:

I haven't read Wells' book, so I'm not sure if the plot problems came with the original story or not?

Amie, do yourself a favor and get your hands on the 1950s, original version. I haven't seen the Tom Cruise version yet, but believe that the story is much better on the original. There aren't the same plot problems because the older version is truer to the book.... by a huge margin! For starters, there aren't pods pre-buried....
Posted By: bugbitten Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/29/05 10:18 PM
Amie,

Have you tried audiobooks? The WOTW book is a good listen. Not very long.

I travel an hour or so each way to work twice a week. I use Audible.com for a couple of books a month.
Posted By: Zarak Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 01:51 AM
Correct me if I'm wrong (possible spoiler for the original story, if you are going to go back and check it out coming up)

but wasn't the original told on the radio and people were thinking it was real when it was really just a story?
Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 02:13 AM
The original book, by H.G. Wells, was written in 1898! Orson Welles adapted to the radio in the late 30s, I believe. And, yes, it did create quite a commotion.

I think it's pretty incredible that both "The War of the Worlds" and "The Time Machine" have been made into recent movies seeing as how both stories are over 100 years old--and they are still sci-fi stories to us!
Posted By: NEW2AXIOM Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 03:44 AM
Just watched the movie today in DTS and it sounded great. The house was definitly shaking. I will watch it again tommorow in DD and see if I notice anything.
Posted By: bray Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 04:09 AM
"The original book, by H.G. Wells, was written in 1898! Orson Welles adapted to the radio in the late 30s, I believe. And, yes, it did create quite a commotion."

Maybe we should ask F107 or Jack, I think they may remember.

Posted By: St_PatGuy Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 04:23 AM
Maybe they have signed copies.
Posted By: dmn23 Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 04:25 AM
We all should have seen this coming...
Posted By: dmn23 Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 04:27 AM
...Except, of course, for F107 or Jack. Chances are they'd need their glasses...
Posted By: SirQuack Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 04:37 AM
That is a great book by the way....
Posted By: Ajax Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 06:07 AM
HEY!

Posted By: SirClyde Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 03:33 PM
Ok here is a stupid question but I am still learning and you all have been great help. Watching in DTS vs DD mode do you change the mode in the DVD player? Or is it in the receiver?
So much to learn so little time.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 03:39 PM
It's actually a DVD soundtrack selection, ie go to "setup" in the DVD menu and look for a "DTS" option. Sometimes DTS is another "language" in the menu.

The receiver has to support DTS decoding but I think pretty much every receiver on the market decodes DTS these days.
Posted By: SirClyde Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 05:45 PM
thanks John
Posted By: bray Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 05:56 PM
SirClyde
Did you make it to Texas?
If yes, where?
Posted By: 2x6spds Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 06:42 PM
Hi Amie

HG Wells' book didn't have the same plot problems, it was the first alien invasion science fiction novel - a classic.
Posted By: Amie Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 08:15 PM
Good to know. The Dwight Library didn't have it (stop laughing those of you who have been to Dwight, we do have a library!) so I will keep my eyes out for it when I am out and about.
Posted By: bridgman Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 08:44 PM
Wow, there really is a library. From the brochure, it looks like it may not be wheelchair accessible but it is accessible by canoe or kayak.

http://www.lakeofbays.on.ca/Summer%20Programs/dw_prog.pdf
Posted By: EddyZ Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 09:06 PM
I went to the library at lunch to see if the new WOTW was available. NOPE! Not even a copy in the racks yet, and I'd be No.363 on the waiting list......no thanks! I'll probably pick up a copy for the holidays.

They had the 1950's version the last time I was there but even that one was gone. I had to settle for three other movies: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Bourne Supremacy and Kung Fu Hustle.
Posted By: SirClyde Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 09:30 PM
Brady,
Now I have not yet made the move but construction on the my home is going fast. Should be done in Jan/Feb. We will be making our move in June. I have been thinking about moving out in March and the rest of the family later. The house is located outside of Austin in Cedar Park.
Posted By: Amie Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 10:40 PM
In reply to:

From the brochure, it looks like it may not be wheelchair accessible but it is accessible by canoe or kayak.

Actually, I'm pleased to report it is wheelchair *and* snowmobile accessible.

EddyZ, your library has great movie selections! I just read Hitchhiker's Guide this summer so I'd like to see the movie, although again I understand the older version was better (BBC). Let me know what you think!

Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 11/30/05 11:17 PM
SirClyde,

When you get into town, drop me a PM and maybe we can have lunch or I could help you get your system up and running.
I live in Round Rock...another 'burb to Austin...

I must have missed this information earlier...you taking a job here in Capital City?

Welcome to Texas!

WhatFurrer
Posted By: EddyZ Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 12/01/05 02:26 PM
Amie, I watched Hitchhiker last night. I've never read the book, so all I can say is that it is quite imaginative! Not what I was expecting I guess. The QS-8's sounded great though!!

The public library system in Cuyahoga County is excellent. They usually get in all new releases and have many classics available as well. You can have as many as 7 DVD's checked out at one time, and you have them for 7 days. If you turn them in late it is $1 a day late fee. My wife usually has her library card maxed out with children's movies!
Posted By: Amie Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 12/01/05 04:54 PM
When I was reading it, I kept thinking "Frank Zappa will be doing the soundtrack to this movie" . . . was that the impression you got?
Posted By: EddyZ Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 12/01/05 06:44 PM
Yeah.........Zappa would fit right in! Were you thinking "Yellow snow" or "St. Alfonzo's pancake breakfast"(where I stole the margarine!)?
Posted By: NEW2AXIOM Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 12/02/05 04:37 PM
Well I did the test last night and yes DTS is MUCH louder than Dolby D on this movie. I switched over from dolby D to DTS without touching the volume and when the DTS started playing it was definitly much louder. Wonder why?
Posted By: WhatFurrer Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 12/02/05 06:59 PM
From what I understand (please anyone correct me if I am wrong), the sound track for DTS has the default setting for the LFE set to +10 whereas DD is set at 0...

Try Open Range (The Saloon scene) for further evidence.

DTS - It's mixed hot.

WhatFurrer
Posted By: Richie Re: Dolby Digital-DTS: War of the Worlds - 01/12/06 11:00 PM
I too was impressed by the gunfight sounds in the movie "The Open Range" when heard in DTS. If given a choice, I always play the movie in DTS mode.
Posted By: Feribaba Dolby Digital versus DTS: War of the Worlds - 02/19/06 03:03 AM
Well, I believe that even the mixing part in surround is a different procedure entirely for DD and DTS -- and certainly, for THX. Different equipment, different "authentication," double or triple the costs. First off, you have 5.1., 6.0, 6.1, 7.1 and 7.2, just to name a few variants. :~))

The main difference, of course, is the particular encoding employed by Dolby and DTS. Each company has a good number of variants by now, with more on the way. DTS has already shipped titles with 10 indie channels.

Also, in the cinemsa, while both Dolby analog and DD are laid down onto the 35mm (or 70mm) positive print, DTS comes delivered on a CD. With D-cinema, everything will be streamed from hard drive using the Motion JPEG2000 codec.

Old thread... but I just wanted to add my 2 cents.

One of the best sounding movies I've ever watched (only watched the DTS version).

I also loved this movie. The org (movie) always scared the crap out of me as a kid but I really loved it. I thought this was one of the best remakes I have ever seen.
© Axiom Message Boards