Axiom Home Page
Posted By: maphiker SACD settings - 12/13/05 05:49 PM
Hi:
I have a Denon AVR-4806 receiver and a Sony DVD/SACD player. The Sony has 5.1 analog outputs for the SACD. I use the EXT. IN on the Denon when I listen to SACDs. My question is: should I make all the speaker settings, i.e. size, distance, level, on the Sony? Or can I rely on the Denon to do all that. If I make the settings on both, would that over compensate everything?
If anyone can comment on this I would appreciate it.
My guess is that the EXT. IN on the Denon bypasses all the receiver functions. But I am not sure. Thanks.
Posted By: Ajax Re: SACD settings - 12/13/05 06:15 PM
In reply to:

My guess is that the EXT. IN on the Denon bypasses all the receiver functions. But I am not sure. Thanks

As far as I know, this, indeed, is the case. You should make your speaker settings for SACD on the Sony. Don't forget to select the multi-channel inputs on your Denon when playing SACDs. The settings in the Sony will only be in effect when you select the multi-channel inputs. When you select the analog or digital input for regular CDs and DVDs, the settings in the Denon will be in effect.
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: SACD settings - 12/14/05 12:02 AM
huh, here it's been a year I've been listening to SACDs thinking the 3805 was doing the necessary speaker delays/etc. Well, I guess I've learned my one thing for the day! Thanks Jack, I'll have to check this out later!
Posted By: Ajax Re: SACD settings - 12/14/05 12:13 AM
Not an uncommon misconception. Most SACD/DVD-A players have limited bass management. That's why I use an Outlaw ICBM with my Denon 2910.
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: SACD settings - 12/14/05 12:34 AM
I've heard about the 2910/ICBM killer combo before. I actually was looking at getting both of those soon, but I figure dropping 3 large on a 50" Panny plamsa was stretching my WAF so I better not risk it for now! Christmas goodwill only extends so far!
Posted By: Ajax Re: SACD settings - 12/14/05 01:17 AM
How true! How true!
Posted By: LightninJoe Re: SACD settings - 12/14/05 04:35 AM
I was pretty annoyed by the results I was getting from my Sony Sacd/Denon 2805 combo until I found the per-channel volume settings in the SACD player. By all means use that feature. For a while I was recalibrating by dang system every time I switched between SACD and another source. One thing to watch: Note the EXT IN: Subwoofer setting on the Denon. Mine was defaulted to +15db, resulting in falling dishes and hasty calibration. I set it to +5 and all fell into place.
Posted By: AshBoomstick Re: SACD settings - 12/15/05 12:05 AM
In reply to:

I set it to +5 and all fell into place.

sounds like it was falling all over the place before!
© Axiom Message Boards